Discussion Board

Question N97 Frequency Band

I notice Nokia states different frequency bands being available on the N97 on its different sites...could someone please clarify...

In particular, it is the inclusion of both the 850MHz and 9000MHz WCDMA frequencys I speak off...

Most sites, including the 'Nseries Innovation Newsdesk', state the device only includes WCDMA 900/1900/2100MHz...

Where the 'Forum.Nokia.com' page that highlights the devices specs, states the device includes WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz...

So which is it?
    And for where?

The reason for my interest, is I plan to purchase this device, but here in New Zealand, we have 2 dominant telcos...

Telecom, operate 3G on WCDMA 850/2100MHz
    Vodafone operate 3G on WCDMA 900/2100MHz

So here in New Zealand, it would be highly desirable to have a device that could operate on all these frequencys.

If not, I would love to know which Nokia is going to go with so I can investigate the best deals available to me on the network provider that does provide the frequencys used by this device.

Please clarify.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: N97 Frequency Band

As the device is still prototype and not out in the markets, anybody who knows the facts can not really comment on it. So you need to wait untill the device is out in the market and then you can get the actual confirmation on the specks.

I understand that response, but please answer this...

It is this site that states the N97 includes WCDMA 850MHz, so surely someone here can either state that is correct, or otherwise correct it yes?

You could assume that it being latest highest end N-Series device, it might indeed have all stuff in it, but it is impossible to say anything definitive untill the official specs are out.

I would assume, that it will have different versions for different markets...

eg.
    WCDMA 850/1900/2100MHz for American markets
    WCDMA 900/1900/2100MHz for European markets

If that is the case, I have to deciede which network operator I am going to use here in New Zealand (who offers the better plans/deals), and then buy the version that works with that operator...

I could off course wait...as likely it will not be introduced here in New Zealand offically for quite some time...but when it eventually does, maybe Nokia will provide both 850 and 900 MHz for the New Zealand market...but I don't want to wait that long...could be another year or more.

Possibly confirming what I already thought, 'TheGuru' over at Symbian-Guru has asked this very question, and got exactly that response...

Heres a quote from 'TheGuru'

I asked specifically about the U.S, and was told that there would be a US 3G model with 850/1900/2100MHz UMTS available, and that while there *will* be a bit of a delay in release, they’re really working to reduce the amount of time that passes between the Euro and NAM models, which was good to hear.
    Source

Resurecting this question, has anybody any new information?

I notice Vodafone UK is the first network to state a release date of July...

This being the case, will the first available devices have frequencys for the European markets, being 900Mhz?

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiN97 View Post
    Resurecting this question, has anybody any new information?

I notice Vodafone UK is the first network to state a release date of July...

This being the case, will the first available devices have frequencys for the European markets, being 900Mhz?
    People who give you those kind of information on 'yet-to-be-public-devices' publicly are speculating. People who actually know, wont give you that information due to various NDAs.

That said, I think you are asking question in the wrong place. This discussion Board caters to developers issue. End users issue are best discussed in http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

For general device specs http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N97