Discussion Board

Embed Flash Lite within a WRT widget?

I'm trying to embed a Flash Lite (2.x) movie into a widget using the following object/embed tag. Both the object and embed regions are defined within the layout on the device(s) (5800 XpressMusic, N79) but the *.swf file never loads on the 5800, nor do any of the parameters (bgcolor) get applied to the object. The src/data path is fine as the SWF files load just fine within Aptana with the WRT plug-in and the N79.

Code:
    <object data="resources/gnu.swf" width="100" height="100" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
      <param name="movie" value="resources/gnu.swf" />
      <param name="play" value="true" />
      <param name="loop" value="false" />
      <param name="menu" value="false" />
      <param name="quality" value="high" />
      <param name="wmode" value="opaque" />
      <param name="bgcolor" value="#4C81A9" />
      <param name="scale" value="noborder" />
      <embed src="resources/gnu.swf" width="100" height="100" 
          loop="false" menu="false" quality="high" wmode="opaque"
          bgcolor="#ff3399" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" />
    </object>
    I've got SVG (and MP3, 3GP and MIDI) working just fine (see below - except that SVG objects receive focus and can be manipulated - which isn't always ideal) with both the object and embed tags. As such I feel like I'm missing the blatantly obvious in regards to embedding Flash Lite within a WRT widget.

Code:
    <object data="resources/gnu.svg" width="120" height="120" type="image/svg+xml"></object>
    <embed src="resources/gnu.svg" width="120" height="120" type="image/svg+xml" />
    Any input extremely welcome.
    Last edited by bryanrieger; 2009-01-27 at 12:59.
    Bryan Rieger, Design Director
    Yiibu - http:// yiibu.com/

Personal Site - http://bryanrieger.com/
    Mobile Design UK - http://mobiledesign.org.uk/

Re: Embed Flash Lite within a WRT widget?

You haven't by any change managed to do anything interesting with the SVG object like DOM node manipulation?

I'm also trying to embed a 220x220px .swf inside an HTML widget. So far I've only got an icon representing a missing plugin in its place (I'm using N97). I tried publishing the file in Flash lite 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0 formats and I'm using the same <object> code snippet that's available here at Nokia Forums. I also tried the one generated by Flash CS4.

Also, when you click the empty space it opens the .swf file as text (?), like opening the file with Notepad.

I just spent the last month trying to embed an SWF in a WRT widget. The good news is; it can be done. The bad news is; it doesn't work.

By that, I mean than you can embed an SWF using the OBJECT/EMBED tags. And that SWF will start and run. But the host HTML page shuts down. At least the Javascript does. I'm not exactly sure what's happening - but I think that you can run either the S60 browser - or the Flash Player. But you can't run both at the same time. It's a memory issue - the S60 (5800 at least,) just doesn't have enough memory to run both these app.s at the same time.

In other words, you can't embed SWFs in an HTML page and expect both the page and the Flash movie(s) to work (just as they would in a normal desktop browser).

The Nokia docs are very misleading. They imply that the Nokia S60 cellphones fully support Flash Lite. They don't. They support only the playing of STANDALONE Flash movies OUTSIDE of the browser. But you can't embed Flash Movies into an S60 browser displayed web page (*).

(*) Well you can, and the Flash movie will start and run, but the host browser shuts down. So there's no point in embedding an SWF into a web page (or even using a WRT Widget). Your whole app. has to be written in Flash - and designed to run in a stand-alone Flash player. (I'm assuming that the stand-alone Flash players for the S60 exist and work. But I personally haven't verified this.)
    Last edited by petern1; 2010-03-29 at 04:42.

Thank you for this info, it'll save me quite a bit of headache in the future. I must add that I did manage to embed the SWF using the embed and object tags, but since my Flash content is static (i.e. graphs) I didn't even notice this thing you said.

Regular Contributor

Try publishing the swf not as flash lite, but Flash 8. Does that help?

Regular Contributor

Exclamation Re: Embed Flash Lite within a WRT widget?

Quote Originally Posted by petern1 View Post
    (*) Well you can, and the Flash movie will start and run, but the host browser shuts down. So there's no point in embedding an SWF into a web page (or even using a WRT Widget). Your whole app. has to be written in Flash - and designed to run in a stand-alone Flash player. (I'm assuming that the stand-alone Flash players for the S60 exist and work. But I personally haven't verified this.)

I have succesfully embedded flash in WRT several times without problems. We have made working examples with parts made with WRT and parts with Flash, communicating with externalInterface. I also have them working in a 5800 XpressMusic. Maybe it's something in your swf that breaks it? Flash embedded in WRT is using the browser's Flash plugin, not the standalone player. This means that you cannot use some of the Flash Lite specific commands etc.

So Flash in WRT does work, as well as Flash in Web browser. Go to any website that has Flash objects flashing about and you'll see...

Thanks Risalmin,

Can you put up a WGZ that proves this. Ideally it be an HTML page containing:-
    • An SWF (that does something - so that we can see that it runs and stays running), plus say;
    • A link to Google (to prove that the HTML page still works)
    • A DIV with an onclick handler that pops up an alert box (to prove that the Javascript works)

Assuming that works, the next step would be to add some test code for ExternalInterface (in both directions).

But if you can do the first bit, I'm quite happy to take it from there.

Cheers, petern1

Regular Contributor

I can also confirm that flash works in WRT with no effects on the HTML.

The best way to embed flash personally was by using swfobject.js

So when testing flash, what are the param options available to embed ?
    Couldn't find any wide list from these pages. Like the one wmode:transparent isn't supported.

I'm trying to find a way to disable the double-click zoom in 5800 browser (with flash content)

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by juhauta View Post
    So when testing flash, what are the param options available to embed ?
    Couldn't find any wide list from these pages. Like the one wmode:transparent isn't supported.

I'm trying to find a way to disable the double-click zoom in 5800 browser (with flash content)
    Not sure if this is possible, but have you tried adding event handlers on the document object and then doing nothing? If that doesn't work, I wouldnt know of any other way to disable the double click apart from maybe somewhere in the optiona?