Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Applications launch controller Symbian9

Hi people.
    Can you get me some recommendations about mechanism which give us to control launching of specific applications? I want to forbid launch of some applications by my criteria.
    First technology about I thinked was Front End Processor that is part of application and I think inside of FEP I can close any application if I wish.
    Do you know any restictions of using that in this way, or possibly you know another way how to control applications launches?
    Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Applications launch controller Symbian9

It may work, at least FEP's are aware of launching GUI applications I think.

Regular Contributor

FEP is little strange technology, I was writen fep for series60 any times ago and I faced with many problems. Example some application when I installed or uninstalled my fep showed me system error. About 3-4 system errors one by one, therefore I little afraid to use this technology, but if no another ways I force it.

FEPs are quite complicated and hard to make, you would also need to support variety of different devcices, so it is not really easy task to do, I would suggest you to check some more manageable somlution for your problem.

Easiesy, but not really clean way, would be just to monitor focus events, and Kill any task you don't like. you could also bring your own window on top when the application launches, so users might never really see anything else but quick flashing.

Regular Contributor

Symbianyucca, thanks for advice about FEP, but may be do you know about anything else, for example some process observer, where I can receive notification if any process(task) was started?

Havent seen one, but in the end you dont need one, since if you are interested on UI application monitoring, then before user can do anything with UI applications, they need to gain focus, so you could try out whether you can get your task done by simply monitoring focus events.

Super Contributor

It depends on what you want to block, if its only UI applications launched via the RApaLSSession (ie stuff like the menu and embedded applications) then there are Symbian Partner API's to block this.

If its generic applications, including exe's without UI then you need to write a driver and this would require being a Symbian Partner to get the DevKit+Source code to figure it out.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Regular Contributor

So many answers :-)
    I should do it without Symbian Partnering programm because currently I have not access to forum nokia pro.
    Most likely I will monitore focus changing and probably also will monitore key events, using Public API.
    Thanks for All.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by _yarik_ View Post
    So many answers :-)
    I should do it without Symbian Partnering programm because currently I have not access to forum nokia pro.
    Most likely I will monitore focus changing and probably also will monitore key events, using Public API.
    Thanks for All.
    By monitoring application focuses you might archive your goal, i have see more then one application
    (like activelock etc) doing the same