Discussion Board

Using SQLite with Symbian S60 3rd ed FP1

Hello,

I am trying to use sqlite on Symbian S60 3rd ed FP1. I downloaded binaries for sqlite from here:
    http://developer.symbian.com/wiki/di...ymbian+OS+v9.2)
    I tried to launch sqlserv executable with in emulator it crashes, while trying to find reason I learnt that it is meant for This is for contractor / licensee Nokia SDKs, and not public SDKs
    what does that means?
    can we not use this API with freely downloaded SDK?

--
    thanks,
    sachin

Super Contributor

Re: Using SQLite with Symbian S60 3rd ed FP1

it might not work on emulator but on device it works fine.

Yes, I am also wondering if this is something that you can not use as a 3rd party developer?
    Could somebody from Nokia clarify this since it does ship at least with S60 5th devices and also on S60 3rd FP2?

But for it to work on emulator/device do we need special licensed SDK from nokia? Downloaded free SDK will work ?

Super Contributor

i think you can try it out. but if you wanted to use in commercial project then you might clarify it from symbian.

Yes and hopefully Nokia is monitoring these forums akin to what google is doing with their Android forums...
    Then it should be possible to get an answer here for all to see. Step on up...

Super Contributor

I certainly did not see any licences prohibiting redistribution, though you cannot ship the binary as part of your package, only the sqllite sis file and you need to include the standard notice that you are using SQLite.

There is a specific zip file that contains the emulator builds which you need to download.

The licence does draw attention to the fact that this is not part of the public SDK's so there is no guarantee of binary compatability between minor releases, nor can support be expected.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

There is one more confusion, I can find DB api for Symbina in two places:
    http://developer.symbian.com/wiki/di...ymbian+OS+v9.2

and here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlites60/

As I could understand API for usage of both is very different, but both are based on sqlite. What is the difference between two and which one I need to use ?

Hi,

Your first link is for the Symbian wrappers for SQLite. The second link is the source for the port of the database, allowing you to use it directly. You can assume that Symbian created the wrappers for a reason and I guess that is to make it easier to use in Symbian projects.

If you're working with Open C/C++, you might find it easier to use the database APIs directly...

Mark

Hi,
    When I downladed the source for sqlite from sourceforge and tried to compile it, it got compiled for device and emulator on FP2 SDK, but on FP1 it does not compile for Emulator.

While compiling for emulator for FP1 i get following errors:
    Code:
    MAKEDEF ERROR: 141 Frozen Export(s) missing from object files: See the console for more information.		SQLite60_Original	Unknown	1233742493640	33847
    Severity and Description	Path	Resource	Location	Creation Time	Id
    sqlite3_result_error @102	SQLite60_Original/BWins	sqliteU.def	line 104	1233742493656	33945
    Severity and Description	Path	Resource	Location	Creation Time	Id
    sqlite3_result_error_nomem @104	SQLite60_Original/BWins	sqliteU.def	line 106	1233742493656	33947
    sqlite3_result_error_toobig @105	SQLite60_Original/BWins	sqliteU.def	line 107	1233742493656	33948
    sqlite3_result_error16 @103	SQLite60_Original/BWins	sqliteU.def	line 105	1233742493656	33946
    -
    but compilation for FP2 and FP1 Device (GCCE) does fine.

Please point out the possible problems.

also, In downloaded source code I can find following files which I do not understand meaning of.

group\sqlite_reg.rss.I

group\sqlite.uid.cpp which looks like this:

Code:
    #include <e32cmn.h>
    #pragma data_seg(".SYMBIAN")
    __EMULATOR_IMAGE_HEADER2(0x10000079,0x1000008d,0x00000001,EPriorityForeground,0xBF030u,0x00000000u,0x00000001,0,0,0)
    #pragma data_seg()
    and similar looking
    group\sqlitetest.uid.cpp

Please note that I am new to compiling DLL and creating lib files. I am following a tutorial here:
    http://www.newlc.com/Writing-a-DLL.html

Please help me out with this.

Thanks,
    Sachin

Hi,

Having just looked at the contents of the project you linked on SourceForge I'd suggest that you not use it unless you really have to. It is something of a messy port with far more changes to the SQLite source than should actually be required. The files that you don't understand are intermediate files created by the build - they shouldn't really be included in the source distribution - you can ignore them, they're not needed.

I'm not at all sure about the errors you report - the missing functions are in vdbeapi.cpp and there's no conditional compilation so they should be found in the object files for all SDK versions.

You shouldn't really need to do anything but import the project for SQLiteS60 and compile it.

Mark

While trying to find the issues I found this at ddj site:http://www.ddj.com/mobile/198702204;...PSKHSCJUNN2JVN

dlsym. Address lookup through symbol names is not supported and you have to use ordinal numbers instead of symbol names. Ordinal numbers of the exported functions can be obtained from the module definition file (.def) of the associated DLL, as in Listing One. This same limitation applies for the g_module_symbol function. The first release of the Open C SDK plug-in lets you build Open C modules and deploy them to existing mobile devices built on S60 3rd Edition and S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1. Symbol lookup by name will be supported with the S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 when using the new target types.
    But still meaning of this is not clear to me, as I can understand, There are two different ways to expose DLL functions, but the Symbol way stated above is not clear to me. It will be really helpful if I can get some examples or pointers to same. Specially more indepth coverage of all dll specific content.

--