Discussion Board

Problem building for mobile phone

Hi,

i am using carbide.c++ 2.0, S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9 and the Temple release of QT for S60 patched with the latest from http://pepper.troll.no/s60prereleases/snapshots/

i have been able to successfully run the instructions (1 -> 5) available on http://pepper.troll.no/s60prerelease...stall-s60.html

i made some simple code and was able to compile it and run it in the emulator. However, when i try to build for the phone using the "GCCE Debug" option in Carbide, i get the following error:

Code:
    ***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\MyQTWidget\ target gcce udeb 
      make -r  -f "\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\MyQTWidget\GCCE.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    make -j 4 -s  -C \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\MyQTWidget -f "MAKEFILE_11827BD6.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\MAKEFILE_11827BD6\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\MyQTWidget PLATFORM=GCCE CFG=UDEB BLD 
    make -j 4 -s  -r -f "\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\MyQTWidget\MYQTWIDGET_11827BD6\GCCE\MYQTWIDGET_11827BD6.GCCE" UDEB 
    arm-none-symbianelf-ld: \S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9\epoc32\release\ARMV5\udeb\qtmain.lib: No such file: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9\epoc32\release\gcce\udeb\MyQTWidget.exe] Error 1
    make: *** [TARGETMYQTWIDGET_11827BD6] Error 2
    I thought that perhaps running examples mentioned on the installation page would somehow force the compilation of the missing qtmain.lib. So, i ran instruction 6 and get the following error:
    Code:
    /S60/devices/S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9/epoc32/include/e32def.h:309:1: warning: "FALSE" redefined
    In file included from /QT/include/QtCore/qglobal.h:1,
                     from /QT/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/kernel/qmetatype.h:40,
                     from /QT/include/QtCore/qmetatype.h:1,
                     from /QT/include/QtGui/../../src/gui/graphicsview/qgraphicsview.h:40,
                     from /QT/include/QtGui/qgraphicsview.h:1,
                     from /QT/include/QtGui/QGraphicsView:1,
                     from /QT/examples/graphicsview/elasticnodes/tmp/moc/debug_shared/../../../graphwidget.h:40,
                     from /QT/examples/graphicsview/elasticnodes/tmp/moc/debug_shared/moc_graphwidget.cpp:10:
    /QT/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qglobal.h:835:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9\epoc32\release\ARMV5\udeb\qtmain.lib', needed by `\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0
    .9\epoc32\release\gcce\udeb\elasticnodes.exe'.  Stop.
    make: *** [TARGETELASTICNODES_A6C8A038] Error 2
    Would anyone have some answers / explanation for this ?

Thanks

Re: Problem building for mobile phone

Hi,

There are two separate issues here:
    1) You probably haven't installed the libraries for the phone builds correctly - there is a qtlibs-4.4.4-temple.exe in the root Qt directory that is a self-extracting installer for the necessary libraries. You should run it and point it to your SDK.

2) If you are using the latest snapshot then you probably can't run on the device unless the snapshot has similar libraries and a new .sisx file to install the libs to the device (either that or if you've got the ARM RVCT compiler). There snapshots are almost certainly not binary compatible with the last release.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I have extracted the file qtlibs-4.4.4-temple.exe provided by Temple to C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9. Is this the correct step ? Just to confirm, here is a short listing of this folder on my computer:

2. At the moment i am not even trying to run it on the device as i am unable to compile/build it The code snapshot above indicate that it is looking for the qtmain.lib library to compile/build it.

After some investigating, it seems that the temporary mmp file that is generated by qmake is the one that is requesting this qtmain.lib (which does exist for the winscw target. i.e on my computer it is in C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9\epoc32\release\winscw\udeb)

Thanks again for helping. As a side note, i have repeated those instructions many many times and on several different computers that have been freshly installed. So, either i am systematically making the same mistake or, there could be some steps missing in the instructions http://pepper.troll.no/s60prerelease...stall-s60.html

Cheers

Hi Mark,

i understand what the problem or the systematic mistake that i am making. I am actually patching temple with the snapshots prior to building QT and this cause it to build for WINSCW correctly but corrupts configurations for building with GCCE.

In other terms, if i try to build Temple unpatched, i am able to build for GCCE in Carbide.

Thanks

Exactly, there is new stuff in the snapshots that's not in Temple, you build the whole thing for winscw yourself so that's OK. The snapshots don't provide binaries or import libraries for the target builds.

I'm glad you've figured it out.

Mark