Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Autostart application on boot (summary of many such threads in the forum)

Following are ways to autostart Symbian C++ application on boot:

1. Using Startup List Management API (only works from S60 3rd edition onwards. Not supported on S60 2nd edition)

2. Using Recognizer (Works on S60 2nd edition as well as S60 3rd edition. Recognizer not meant for autostart on boot. But using a hack autostart on boot is possible. And if there is any bug in the application and if application crashed during autostart on boot then phone needs to be flashed)

3. Using Start-On-Boot Registration API (Works on S60 2nd edition. Don't know about S60 3rd edition, please tell me about this. Safe even if application crashed during autostart on boot. But requires file exestartonboot_s60v2_0_SymbianSigned.SIS to be installed on the phone. This sis file will obviously change for S60 3rd edition)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

And please tell me if there is any other way to autostart Symbian C++ application on boot.

And also tell which is the best way to autostart daemon Symbian C++ application on boot on:
    1. S60 2nd edition
    2. S60 3rd edition

Thanks in advance

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Autostart application on boot (summary of many such threads in the forum)

Simple and recommended:

* For S60 2nd Edition, use Start-On-Boot Registration API

* For S60 3rd Edition, use Startup List Management API

Don't bother about other approaches. Just use which is recommended and in your case above two points are applied.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Champion

for my case, on s60 2nd, I use Recognizer do autostart.
    on s60 3rd, Startup List Management API is the best/simple way.
    ----------------------------
    坚持学习, 坚持编码
    http://www.devdiv.net/
    qxiaoyuan

Super Contributor

Start-On-Boot Registration API has many constraints like:
    1. Phone should not be rebooted within the first 3 minutes of device start up
    2. Phone should not be rebooted within the first 3 minutes of registering service
    etc.
    Such cases can occur for instance user have manually rebooted the phone for any reason or phone is switched off because of low battery. And in such case the service is deregistered from the start up list. I don't want user to start the service manually to register it again and again.
    So I don't want to use Start-On-Boot Registration API.

For Recognizer, if application crashed during autostart on boot then phone needs to be flashed. I don't want that. So I don't want to use Recognizer.

For Startup List Management API, I have not seen it but I hope these issues are not there with it.

May somebody please suggest me a good way to auto start application on S60 2nd edition.

Nokia Developer Champion

1. Recognizer need do some more work, need test phone is boot or charge. the test is check phone.exe is run or not, and the best is not start work on 1st minute.

2. and if the Recognizer mdl has some bug, you can use long press "edit key" when boot skip all Recognizer mdl.

3. for my case, Recognizer mdl only start a true daemon service, no more work, so it is simply and not any chance panic the phone.
    Last edited by qxiaoyuan; 2009-01-31 at 02:29.
    坚持学习, 坚持编码
    qxiaoyuan

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by qxiaoyuan View Post
    the test is check phone.exe is run or not
    Using Y-Tasks, I am unable to find "phone.exe" in my Nokia E61i. Instead I found "PhoneServer.exe"
    What is "phone.exe"?

Super Contributor

Phone.exe is the native dialer application.

Nokia Developer Champion

and this link 25# has my case code, you can use it.
    坚持学习, 坚持编码
    qxiaoyuan

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by arpit2agrawal View Post
    Using Y-Tasks, I am unable to find "phone.exe" in my Nokia E61i. Instead I found "PhoneServer.exe"
    What is "phone.exe"?
    Let's discuss on best practices here. You should always use application's UID3 as a suffix while naming your TARGET name. This will help you in most possible name clash problems. From Symbian 9.x(S60 3rd and onwards), all the executables reside in the same place, i.e !\Sys\Bin. Now if you use plain name for your application then there might be some other developers who use the same name but if you have given UID3 as a suffix then the chances of name conflict will be 0.007%.

For e.g: So if your application name is Phone.exe and UID3 is 0xE1234567 then you should better change your application name to Phone_0xE1234567.exe. That's it. Open Carbide.c++ and change all the occurrences of Phone.exe to Phone_0xE1234567.exe.

PS: The same practice apply for resource file also. Create one simeple HelloWorld GUI type of application from Carbide.c++ and see how it follows this best practices and finally apply the same rules to your application.

I hope that helps.

Super Contributor

Phone.exe is not written by me but it is in-built into the firmware... I cannot do anything about its naming... I hope you understand...

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by arpit2agrawal View Post
    Phone.exe is not written by me but it is in-built into the firmware... I cannot do anything about its naming... I hope you understand...
    In the first place, why did you ask about "Phone.exe" then? I guess it your autostart .exe, isn't it? If not then just don't bother about it.

Super Contributor

See post #5 by qxiaoyuan:
    Quote Originally Posted by qxiaoyuan View Post
    1. Recognizer need do some more work, need test phone is boot or charge. the test is check phone.exe is run or not, and the best is not start work on 1st minute.