Discussion Board

Thread: unique ID

unique ID

i am developing an application which gets different values for different users.
    eg: when i run my application in my mobile i need to get list of last 10 transactions made by
    me from a server.To implement this i have details of customer numbers stored in server.How do we retrieve customer number with out not having the user to enter it manually in the application so that i can sent it to the server.

Super Contributor

Re: unique ID

Quote Originally Posted by jaakkie View Post
    i am developing an

1.application which gets different values for different users.

eg: when i run my application in my mobile i need to get list of last 10 transactions made by me from a server.

2.To implement this i have details of customer numbers stored in server.How do we retrieve customer number with out not having the user to enter it manually in the application so that i can sent it to the server.
    Hi,
    A variety of the points are seems to be mixed.
    What I have understand is that you have to store some numbers on the server.And you do not want to let the user enter the number...

you can follow like as -
    @ have your sever side with all these number/data.
    @ open that URL of the server..
    @ read the data,and parse if required.
    @ then use the data.

for the same you can follow this links,
    http://www.java2s.com/Code/Java/J2ME/HttpConnection.htm
    http://www.devx.com/getHelpOn/10Minu...46/1763/page/2

please refine the lines you have write,
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Thank you for replying,

i think my question created doubt in all of you.The application which i am developing is for many users.all the users maintain different account in the server.(eg like an IP address if i am connected to the web.so when i connect to the web i dont tell my IP adrress but my service provider can obtain it and charge me accordingly). So what i need exactly with my application is that when i start my application i want it(application) to get the phone number and to sent it to the server and get MY specific details.

i just want a method to get the phone number using J2Me. ( not to connect server).

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: unique ID

hi jaakkie,

i think i understood your issue.(not sure)
    what you need is to find out the mobile number when you are connecting to the server.(server need the users mobile number in order to authenticate user.)

but unfortunately it's not possible. if you want the mobile number it'll totally depend on the Service Provider.

you should white List your application.

what dose that mean is service providers should trust your application as a trusted application.

that option is not a good solution to find out the mobile number because then all the service providers need to white list your application.

assume that you have foreign customers ???????

or if new service provider comes out ????

so best thing would be give a login screen to the mobile users as well......

cheers,
    Randika

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jaakkie View Post
    Thank you for replying,

i think my question created doubt in all of you.The application which i am developing is for many users.all the users maintain different account in the server.(eg like an IP address if i am connected to the web.so when i connect to the web i dont tell my IP adrress but my service provider can obtain it and charge me accordingly). So what i need exactly with my application is that when i start my application i want it(application) to get the phone number and to sent it to the server and get MY specific details.

i just want a method to get the phone number using J2Me. ( not to connect server).

I think we cannot get phone number but you might get IMSI OR IMEI by system property for your specific purpose and it is unique.

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: unique ID

yep true you can find out the IMEI or the IMSI number but that number does not exists in his database so it's not going to help him...

regards,
    Randika

thank you for ur replies ,

it surely gave me a final word in this matter.
    i am facing another problem.i am new to j2me actually.
    so i had to connect to this web server which had few web services running.
    i tried connecting through http connection.but dint work.So i did it by
    creating stubs(through netbeans).And hitting web service through them.Now this worked.
    Can you tell me the dis advantages if any it has over the http connection method.