Discussion Board

Angry RHTTPSession between threads.

Hi,

I've simple HelloWorld test application which is statically linked with a library. I've some global data in the library. One of them is pointer to a class object. RHTTPSession is a member of this class.

I use multithreading. When my test app calls the library function, it instantiates this class, create RHTTPSession object, call RHTTPTransaction::SubmitL(), create another thread and return from this function to the test app. In the second thread, I check for the downloaded response and tried to close the session here. My app crashes with Kern Exec - 0 panic when I try to close session from the second thread. Does this mean I can't share RHTTPSession between multiple threads?

I also tried passing this global object in RThread.Create() TAny* param.
    Same problem. Could some one tell me how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
    jvin

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: RHTTPSession between threads.

Generally you should forget about threads in Symbian as long as possible. In particular RHTTP-things do not seem to support sharing between threads (in case of many R-classes you could experiment with RSessionBase::ShareAuto/Protected or handle-related magics in RHandleBase, but RHTTP-classes do not inherit from neither of the two).

I also tried without threads.

I called the first function from the library. This funcA() starts the download and returns to the test application.

I called second function, funcB to monitor the response and return the status.
    funcB() reads the downloaded response and close the session, deletes the global object.

But, when I try to quit the application, I'm getting "Panic CONE 36".

I'm doing the following after the response is downloaded- Closing RHTTPSession and RFs, and delete http client.

I see the panic only when I debug in emulator.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    jvin

Nokia Developer Moderator

You can check if there is a panic on the device via applying this: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code
    On the emulator you can experiment with HookLogger for tracking hard-to-find issues, like memory and other resource leakage: http://developer.symbian.com, Tools & SDKs. Also check the tutorials on the HookLogger page.