Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Regular Contributor

How to access the mails from an gmail account

Hello Friends,

I am a newbie in J2ME....
    What i want is when my application gets loaded on Nokia 6030 device i want to access/load a browser and open the my gmail account with mails displayed in it.......
    Now as i click on any email its boby text should be displayed on my parent application screen.
    I am concern as is it possible to do so, if yes please help me regarding thia.

Its urgent!!!
    Thanks in advance

Super Contributor

Re: How to access the mails from an gmail account

well thats quite a project for a newbie

anyways afaik u cannot open the inbuilt browser in your application, as in incorporate it...
    you are able to open the browser from within your application, but both will remain two seperate entitities... On a S60 device both apps (ur app and the browser) will run concurently, but for example on a S40 (which doesnt support multitasking) only one of the two will be able to run, most of the times that means that opening the browser means closing ur own app...
    maybe google has some service (web-service) which makes it possible to retrieve info (mail) from their servers ? then u could retrieve it and display it all in ur own app, this also means that u would practically create ur own mail client...

Regular Contributor

Thanks Tiger97...
    Is there any other way to read incoming mails for a particular email address, maybe using network service(http connection)/POP3 server....

Once again thanks for replying...
    Last edited by iworktech_kiran; 2009-02-03 at 11:04.

Super Contributor

from within ur own app ?
    no idea....

Super Contributor

Yes, it is a big newbie project!!

You might be able to use a SocketConnection to connect to a POP3 server. However, you will need to implement the POP3 protocol in your application. Also, not all devices will support SocketConnection.

All devices (I use the word "all" loosely) support HttpConnection. You can use this to get email in two different ways.

1. Access an existing web interface. In this case, you will need to parse the web pages to extract the data you want.

2. Create your own web-mail proxy. Basically, something like a Java servlet/JSP/ASP/Perl script, whatever, that talks to the POP3 server, and sends mail to your phone by HTTP. You still need to implement the POP3 protocol, but on a server instead of the phone. This works well for lower-end devices, where it is helpful to move the harder work away from the device.

One thing I'll add, more generally: if you are used to development environments with enormous class libraries that provide all the functionality you can dream of, J2ME will be a culture shock...

Cheers,
    Graham.