Discussion Board

Thread: Begineer in QT

Nokia Developer Champion

Begineer in QT

I am just beginner in QT. Can some one advise me from where i should start to develop application ? I know j2me but not symbian c++. Will i have to learn symbian c++ to start ? can some one tell me how can i start to learn and build some sample for qt ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Begineer in QT

Quote Originally Posted by honest_success View Post
    I am just beginner in QT. Can some one advise me from where i should start to develop application ? I know j2me but not symbian c++. Will i have to learn symbian c++ to start ? can some one tell me how can i start to learn and build some sample for qt ?
    The initial installation and stuff are already documented in the wiki.

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Code_together

Also there are number of articles/code examples already:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ory:Qt_for_S60

As far as learning Symbian C++, I guess if you are going to do QT for S60, a prior knowledge/experience in Symbian is always going to help.

Neil is right that Symbian C++ knowledge, particularly regarding the build tools, should help you. However, it is not necessary to know Symbian C++ to program with Qt for S60.

I'd suggest you follow the advice on the Qt Software site - while Qt for S60 is still in technology preview you would be better to start learning Qt on another platform, say Linux or Windows.

Mark

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,
    learning qt does not require the knowledge of c++ but it require that you must know how to use carbide build tool . You can rèfer my article on wiki site. Most of this are for the beginners.
    Regards
    Jajal Mehul

Qt absolutely does require C++ knowledge - the whole framework is C++. No Symbian specific idioms are required though.

You don't need to use Carbide.c++, although it is recommended for Symbian work. It's possible to develop with any editor and build on the command line.

Mark

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,
    Once you configure qt you can write your program in any text editor and build it from command line.
    Jajal Mehul

Jajal, I don't understand your point, you have to configure Qt from the command line too and you should build it from there as well, Carbide.c++ is not required at all (although I'd still recommend it for things like Qt Designer integration and on-device debugging).

Otherwise you seem to be just repeating my point needlessly...?

Mark

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi sorcery,
    i am really sorry for that.
    Actually i had given a link to one of article regarding the compiling qt file but due to some reason it was nt add to my answer and I realize it after read your post. Here is the article that might be useful for beginnershttp://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...mand_prompt%3F
    Jajal Mehul

Now that makes a lot more sense. No need to apologise, we're all only helping out voluntarily. I just thought I must be missing something you were trying to say - turns out we both were.

Thumbs up Re: Begineer in QT

hiii
    james1980 is absolutely rite becoz the internal library i of QT own. so its like You are going for a new language just some of c++ concepts are used.

wiki posted by janes1980 will help You a lot in learning QT

Regards
    Viral parmar

Nokia Developer Expert

from my point of view,because QT is a cross-platform language and QT on S60 is not fully implemented,you could learn the basic concepts of QT first then try to test your application on S60.