Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cannot build for S60 device

Hello all,

I just downloaded Qt and succesfully configure and build a hello world project. I can run the project in emulator but I wonder why I can not compile it to run from device in Carbide?

Tools I am using are:
    - Carbide.c++ 2.0
    - S60 3rd Ed FP1
    - Qt 4.4.4. Temple

Many thanks for the answer.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Cannot build for S60 device

Is there any errors?

Did you install Open C binaries to your phone as well? For 3rd Ed FP1 you need to have it.
    You have installed Qt libraries on the device (qt_libs_armv5_udeb.sisx)?
    See this doc for more details - Installing Qt on S60

The Qt libraries comes pre-built for real devices. To install them, execute qtlibs-4.4.4-temple.exe included in this package.
    ---
    http://pepper.troll.no/s60prerelease...stall-s60.html
    You precisely have made it?

Also see this http://library.forum.nokia.com/index...47A_cover.html

Hi A.A.M,

Thanks for the reply. I've missed one step. I can compile for device now but there is an error:

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\ target gcce udeb
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\GCCE.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    In file included from /Qt/4.4.4-temple/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qnamespace.h:43,
    from /Qt/4.4.4-temple/include/QtCore/qnamespace.h:1,
    from /Qt/4.4.4-temple/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/kernel/qobjectdefs.h:40,
    ...<TEXT REMOVED>....
    from /Qt/4.4.4-temple/include/QtGui/qwidget.h:1,
    from /Qt/4.4.4-temple/include/QtGui/../../src/gui/widgets/qmainwindow.h:40,
    from /Qt/4.4.4-temple/include/QtGui/qmainwindow.h:1,
    from /Qt/4.4.4-temple/include/QtGui/QMainWindow:1,
    from /Symbian/Carbide/SymbianResources/testQt/testQt.h:34,
    from /Symbian/Carbide/SymbianResources/testQt/main.cpp:31:
    /Qt/4.4.4-temple/include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/global/qglobal.h:834:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    arm-none-symbianelf-ld: \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\QtGui.dso: No such file: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\GCCE\UDEB\testQt.exe] Error 1
    make: *** [TARGETTESTQT_2DE11F61] Error 2

Please help.

Many thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion

The Qt libraries comes pre-built for real devices. To install them, execute qtlibs-4.4.4-temple.exe included in this package.
    ---
    http://pepper.troll.no/s60prerelease...stall-s60.html
    You sure that you already made it?

If yes then i would suggest doing abld clean (& maybe abld reallyclean) for the project and then rebuild your project.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Have you installed CSL arm toolchain ?

Hi Symbian_Neil,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't installed the toolchain and I even don't know what it is. I just want to run my app on N80 and all the other S60 3rd edition FP1 phones. Do I need to install the toolchain?

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by irwansyahnokia View Post
    Hi Symbian_Neil,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't installed the toolchain and I even don't know what it is. I just want to run my app on N80 and all the other S60 3rd edition FP1 phones. Do I need to install the toolchain?

Many thanks.
    Yes, you do need to install the CSL arm toolchain which you might find in your windows-start menu. Also note that you might want to build it for gcce urel if you want to install it for your device and not for ARM unless you have the RVCT compiler(does not come free with the SDK, the GCCE does come free)

I've installed the toolchain. But I still have this error:

***Invoking abld command
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\GCCE.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    arm-none-symbianelf-ld: \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\QtGui.dso: No such file: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\GCCE\UDEB\testQt.exe] Error 1
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt -f "MAKEFILE_2DE11F61.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\MAKEFILE_2DE11F61\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt PLATFORM=GCCE CFG=UDEB BLD
    make -j 4 -s -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\TESTQT_2DE11F61\GCCE\TESTQT_2DE11F61.GCCE" UDEB

Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by irwansyahnokia View Post
    I've installed the toolchain. But I still have this error:

***Invoking abld command
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt -f "MAKEFILE_2DE11F61.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\MAKEFILE_2DE11F61\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt PLATFORM=GCCE CFG=UDEB BLD
    make -j 4 -s -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\TESTQT_2DE11F61\GCCE\TESTQT_2DE11F61.GCCE" UDEB

Please help.
    I dont know really, but I find the red in the console output fishy.

Hi,

The ARMV5 isn't fishy, the Qt libraries have been built with the ARM RVCT compiler for the target. Indeed, most of the libraries that Nokia provide in the SDK are built with the same compiler - because of the ARM EABI (standard binary interface) you can still link to them with binaries that you build with GCCE.

In the directory where you've installed Qt there's a self-extracting .exe file containing the necessary libraries and you need to extract it to the root of the SDK you're using. The instructions to do this are there with all the other installation instructions.

Mark

Hi Sorcery-ltd,

Do you mean the qtlibs-4.4.4-temple.exe. I've extract it to my S60 3rd Ed FP1 root directory (C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd). But there is another directory that is C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1. Am I using the wrong directory?

Hi All,

I can compile with no errors now but I cannot find the .SIS file output . These is two last parts of my compilation output:

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\ final gcce udeb
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\GCCE.make" FINAL CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    make -j 4 -s -C \Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt -f "MAKEFILE_2DE11F61.MK" TO_ROOT=..\..\..\.. EPOCBLD=..\..\..\..\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\MAKEFILE_2DE11F61\GCCE TO_BLDINF=..\..\..\..\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt PLATFORM=GCCE CFG=UDEB FINAL

Total Time: 7 sec

***Invoking abld command
    perl.exe -S ABLD.PL \Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\ test export
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\SymbianResources\testQt\EXPORTtest.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do

Please help.

Hi,

Yes, you got it:
    C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd = 3rd Edition, no feature pack
    C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1 = 3rd FP1

No errors in those last two steps from the compilation output.

How did you create your project? If you created it in Carbide.c++ then it should have a relevant package file and be setup to create a SIS file, usually in the same directory as the .pro file for Qt projects by default I think.

If you created it, or are building it from the command line, then you'll need to create the SIS file separately. There is a createpackage script to help with this, or you can edit the properties of the Carbide project and make sure the SIS builder is pointing to an appropriate package file.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

I am using Carbide.c++ 2.0. When I was learning programming using AvKon I usually just choose the device build configuration and build the project to get .SIS file. Now, I am using Qt, I did the samething but no .SIS file created. Do you know why?

Hi,

I suspect that no package file is selected for the SIS builder. I'm sure this will be fixed in future updates to Carbide.c++ and Qt for S60. In Qt for S60, qmake creates the package files. In Carbide.c++, the project wizard creates a special package file that is used to generate a specific package file depending on the build configuration selected. The Qt for S60 package files don't currently get created in the format that Carbide.c++ expects (although it can still use them, they don't have the necessary variables for generating build configuration specific versions - instead qmake just creates a separate package file for each configuration).

Basically you're just suffering the teething problems of being an early adopter - you have to work around it for now. Like I say, you can change the Carbide project or run the createpackage script from the command line each time you want a SIS file.

Mark