Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

[moved] Multiple EXE in one SIS file

Hi Experts,

Till now I have 2 applications App-Non-Gui and App-Gui. I build App-Non-Gui independenctly sisx and include it in pkg file of App-Gui. So I have to sis files.

Now I intend to merge them in to one. I know it is possible to install multiple EXE in same package file; however my question is related to data files in private folder. So below is a scenario

1) In App-Non-Gui package file I have data files that I install in "!:\private\<UID of App-Non-Gui>\Mydata1.dat"
    2) In App-Non-Gui package file I have data files that I install in "!:\private\<UID of App-Gui>\Mydata2.dat"

Please note that UID are different for both apps.

Question: Can I include both in same package file?

Another question realted to this for symbian signed. Do I need to build both apps with same capabilities to get it symbian signed?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Multiple EXE in one SIS file

the sample way is not use private folder, you can use

\system\apps\<UID of App-Non-Gui>\Mydata1.dat

and

\system\apps\<UID of App-Gui>\Mydata1.dat

it will all be ok.
    ----------------------------
    坚持学习, 坚持编码
    http://www.devdiv.net/
    qxiaoyuan

Nokia Developer Moderator

Yes, a single installation package can install multiple .exe files, and it can also install files to their private folders. And yes, having different UID-s is a good idea.

And no, the executables should contain their own required set of capabilities, which is independent from the capabilities of the other executable.

Regular Contributor

Hi wizard_hu, qxiaoyuan,

Thanks for your response and I feel comfortable about packaging aspect. However still not clear about symbiansigned aspect i.e.

And no, the executables should contain their own required set of capabilities, which is independent from the capabilities of the other executable.
    Since now I am planning to build single sis and I need to go through symbian signed. so to illustrate proble

My App-Non-Gui have SwEvent, UserEnviornment capability and my App-Gui only has UserEnviornment capability. Now Inside App-Gui pkg file (which has less capability) I am also including EXE for App-Non-GUI which has more capabilities. Will it be ok to submit single sis file and symbian signed will sign capability accordingly.

Sorry never gone through this before so please forgive me if question is stupid.

Nokia Developer Champion

there have 2 rules.
    1. dll's capability must exclude exe's capability
    2. signsis's capability must exclude all package's exe & dll's capability.

so you signed need SwEvent, UserEnviornment capability. otherwise, when install, it will notify you "not enough capabiliy"
    ----------------------------
    坚持学习, 坚持编码
    http://www.devdiv.net/
    qxiaoyuan

Regular Contributor

Hi qxiaoyuan,

Thanks Again.

I do not have dll but both are EXEs, one does not have GUI. Anyway if non-gui is called dll so I have dll and EXE. From this rule I understood that application need to be signed with SUPERSET of capabilities required by all EXEs included in pkg file.

I think easiest approach will be to build both EXE with superset capabilities in respective mmp file. Capabilities may be unused in one but at least won't create problem. Am I right?

Nokia Developer Moderator

The .sis file has to be signed with combined capability requirements of its contents. It is a bad practice overdeclaring capabilities for anything, especially if you already know that the given .exe file does not need the given capabilities.

Example:
    exe1.exe ReadUserData WriteUserData UserEnvironment (in .mmp file)
    exe2.exe WriteUserData ProtServ SwEvent NetworkServices (in .mmp file)

=> xy.sis (containing exe1.exe and exe2.exe) needs ReadUserData WriteUserData UserEnvironment ProtServ SwEvent NetworkServices for signing.