Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Access c:/private folder - ActiveFile - Required application access not granted

Hi,

I have downloaded one big file of 10mb over the weekend and saved it by mistake into the phone memory - c:/private folder.
    I have Nokia E51 and I used opera mini to download it. Now if i look into the Phone Memory - Memory Details i see that the MIDP apps are taking
    10mb more space than before. I tried to install ActiveFile which i signed myself so that i will be able to view the contents
    of c:/private to delete that file, but i get "Required application access not granted" during installation.
    The only thing i want to do is to delete that file so that i can free up my phone memory. I installed x-plore and it shows
    that the private folder is empty, but i dont think its correct, i think it does not have permissions to view the contents.
    I dont understand why Nokia allows opera mini to download a file into the private folder but does not allow us to view the
    contents of it and delete it. If it was supposed to be read-only opera mini shouldnt have access to put files in it. Unless
    the file is not really under C:/private after all, but opera mini put it under a folder that i cannot see in x-plore. That's
    why i want to install ActiveFile, to see where that file went.

I dont know if this is the correct forum for this question, please point me to the correct one.

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by jant79; 2009-02-09 at 10:04.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Access c:/private folder - ActiveFile - Required application access not granted

Quote Originally Posted by jant79 View Post
    Hi,

I have downloaded one big file of 10mb over the weekend and saved it by mistake into the phone memory - c:/private folder.
    I have Nokia E51 and I used opera mini to download it. Now if i look into the Phone Memory - Memory Details i see that the MIDP apps are taking
    10mb more space than before. I tried to install ActiveFile which i signed myself so that i will be able to view the contents
    of c:/private to delete that file, but i get "Required application access not granted" during installation.
    The only thing i want to do is to delete that file so that i can free up my phone memory. I installed x-plore and it shows
    that the private folder is empty, but i dont think its correct, i think it does not have permissions to view the contents.
    I dont understand why Nokia allows opera mini to download a file into the private folder but does not allow us to view the
    contents of it and delete it. If it was supposed to be read-only opera mini shouldnt have access to put files in it. Unless
    the file is not really under C:/private after all, but opera mini put it under a folder that i cannot see in x-plore. That's
    why i want to install ActiveFile, to see where that file went.

I dont know if this is the correct forum for this question, please point me to the correct one.

Thanks,
    John
    Since E51 is a 3rd edition device, it should have concept of data caging, which means that you will be unable to browse private folder. But anyway, this discussion board caters to developers issues. for end users queries, the better place would be http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/
    Good Luck!

Re: Access c:/private folder - ActiveFile - Required application access not granted

Thanks a lot guys, the soft reset helped me *#7370#.
    There are no data now under the MIDP field on memory details.