Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian Signed for an application which access to a private server

Hello everyone,

I am preparing to let our application through the Symbian Signed Certification(Express Signed) for the first time. I have read several documents and related sites. I think I have understood generally, but some points are not clear for me how to handle with our application.

First of all, our application accesses a private server which requires a specific SIM card under our customer's contract. So, this is clear that the Test House can not test our application with the released version.

We can prepare a testing version for the Test House with a public server and a ordinal SIM card.

So, in this case, if we send two versions of SIS files,
    Q1. Can the real released version be signed, though it is not testable?
    Q2. Do we have to pay for the two applications, though actually we need to be signed for the release version?
    Q3. Or is there any better solusion for such a case?

Ok, the url to the server is currently hardcoded, so, changing it would be another option. But just I would like to know if any other possibilities.

I am sure this is not very special case for people who are developing enterprise mobile applications. So could anybody help me?

Thanks for your help,
    Last edited by mimimi; 2009-02-10 at 11:31.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian Signed for an application which access to a private server

An applications submitted for signing through the Express Signed channel will not be tested by a Test House unless it gets picked for audit (random selection of applications from the received submissions). It is your responsibility to ensure proper testing before submitting the application (subject to documented penalties).

So you can submit the application now through Express Signing and worry later (and only if questioned by Symbian Signed) about the testing environment or chose to first sign your application through the Certified Signed process and in that case contact the chosen test house in advance and agree the details with them.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Lucian, thank you so much!

So now it is a bit clear for me, I will think about what is the best way for us.

Best regards,
    Mimimi

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    An applications submitted for signing through the Express Signed channel will not be tested by a Test House unless it gets picked for audit (random selection of applications from the received submissions). It is your responsibility to ensure proper testing before submitting the application (subject to documented penalties).

So you can submit the application now through Express Signing and worry later (and only if questioned by Symbian Signed) about the testing environment or chose to first sign your application through the Certified Signed process and in that case contact the chosen test house in advance and agree the details with them.
    Hello Lucian,

i have also an application needed to be signed, it likes mimimi's, that it is using within local/private network. (and only Certified Signed becaused of capabilities)

My question is, if I must make my server accessble/public for the test houses, in order to pass the test? And the detail information about authentification to my server, I should take contact with Testhouses?

How about SIM cards mentioned by mimimi? Should I prepare one for Testhouses?

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Pai
    Symbian && Android && iPhoneOS

Nokia Developer Expert

I think the answer is same, as was for the first question. I actually have once sent a pre-paid card for testing purposes for the signing, that was couple of years back, but I assume that they could still do the same, thus you could try contacting the testing house for instructions.

Nokia Developer Champion

Yes symbianyucca you are rite, testing house still follow the same tradition, recently we sended a pre-paid card for testing purposes for the signing.