Discussion Board

Thread: MWS and Java

Regular Contributor

Smile MWS and Java

Hello everybody. I'm am starting to design an application and I want to use the MWS in order to put the location of the Mobile in a Mobile Web Server,so other users can access this data to know where he is. Besides, i want to design the Java Application showing a Map and some other functionality. My question is the following: i have read that for using MWS i have to download S60 3rd Edition SDK for Symbian OS for C++,but is it possible to implement each part separately? I mean,is it possible to integrate both parts (one using S60 3rd Edition SDK for Symbian OS for C++ and the other using S60_JME_SDK?? thanks a lot for the help!!

Re: MWS and Java

Hi.

I didn't quite get what you are after. You are talking about two parts. The other is the Java application showing the location on a map, right? The other might then be some sort of code getting the location info from the device. Could you use the REST APIs ( http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...eb_Server_APIs ) instead? You could pull the location using those instead of coding something yourself. It is also possible to use Python scripts (PyS60) in the web server if you want to do things differently.

Super Contributor

If you are looking for all in one S60 SDK's you can download it here

It supports development of applications for the following runtimes:

Symbian C++.
    Open C/C++.
    Java™ technology.
    Web Runtime (WRT).
    Python (using the Python for S60 SDK plug-in).

May be this doc is of some interest to you ?
    Extending the Reach of MIDlets: how MIDlets can access native services

Regards
    Gopal
    Twitter : @balagopalks
    Linkedin : @balagopalks

Is there a radio widget for the MWS. I see that the other widgets present in the server folder are writing in python.
    What i mean in actual sense is that i want to integrate the phone's radio app. as a widget;so site vistors can listen to my radio.

Is this possible ? Cuz i haven't seen any examples of it in the Wikis.

David.

Hi.

I see at least two obstacles in that kind of Radio Widget. First I think(?) there's no APIs available for controlling the radio receiver. And second if you would somehow manage to transfer the radio program into data stream the gateway wouldn't be able to handle streaming of audio.

Interesting idea anyway!

I was told the radio is a closed component,so it can't be manipulated by normal developers. I guess the internet radio idea is the next alternative.
    With regards to streaming, that might be a lot of strain on the phone. . constantly streaming data;even if a mashup setting/framework were employed.

But then again, looking at the mashup idea: can't two MWS's be used to host one site; i mean one handling radio audio stream and the other carrying the actual site; via a custom gateway, especially if the wifi option is used.
    - David

Regular Contributor

Hello and thanks for the help. I might didn't explain correctly,maybe because of my bad English

What I would like to do is using the Mobile Web Server only to serve the GPS position of each mobile phone,so that other mobiles can access this data and use it in their own Java Application,which has a map and which will draw the position on it. My intention is avoid programming in Python every the code,as I am more confident with Java language.

Thks a lot!