Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

How can I create live video chat with J2ME?

I want to use J2ME to develop a video chat. But I don't know how to record video stream using MMAPI, because I only can find how to record video into a file or snap a picture using MMAPI.
    Could anybody tell me how to record video to byte[] and send it, which make it able to be sent to others and make a live video chat? thanks!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How can I create live video chat with J2ME?

Hi luckyapplehead,

with Java ME you could get the recorded stream as a byte array by using a ByteArrayOutputStream and passing it to RecordControl setRecordStream() method, and then using the ByteArrayOutputStream itself to retrieve the recorded bytes.

Note however that the recorded bytes will be available only once you have committed the RecordControl itself, so live sending of captured video is actually not possible with Java ME. There are some possible workarounds (like using multiple players and threads to alternatively record and send) but they're generally far from being perfect.

Pit

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jappit View Post
    Hi luckyapplehead,

with Java ME you could get the recorded stream as a byte array by using a ByteArrayOutputStream and passing it to RecordControl setRecordStream() method, and then using the ByteArrayOutputStream itself to retrieve the recorded bytes.

Note however that the recorded bytes will be available only once you have committed the RecordControl itself, so live sending of captured video is actually not possible with Java ME. There are some possible workarounds (like using multiple players and threads to alternatively record and send) but they're generally far from being perfect.

Pit
    jappit,thanks

So I think I hava to use symbian C++ to develop the live video chat instead... although I don't quite like developing using symbian C++...

Nokia Developer Champion

Yes, Symbian C++ would surely be a much more adequate technology for such a project, even if learning path is surely harder

Pit

i need help for my themes

please i need about for my N95 8GB..i found it difficult to install themes on my phone ..everytime i try to install themes,its say (certificate error contact application suplier) and the themes is (sis file) so am suprise it's not working..please what can i do to fix this?..i will really appreciate if you can help me out on this..