Discussion Board

Capturing and Streaming Video / Audio on 5800 in S60 Application

Hello All,

I just bought a 5800 and I would like to start developing some applications for it. I kind of would really like to do something with the secondary camera on the 5800 phone. I played around with a Nokia N810 writing an application that captured the video and audio from the device and streamed them to another device. I know that the 5800 already has video call abilities and an application for that, but is that something that is possible on the 5800? Can you programmically capture the video and audio and stream it outward to somewhere, like another device or server? If you can, please let me know the best language/tool/framework to do that and what, if any, limitations there are with this type of application. Thanks for any help as I begin this journey.

MBFonz

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Capturing and Streaming Video / Audio on 5800 in S60 Application

Symbian C++ does not always provide such openness that you have got used to in Linux environments, including the N810. What you can always do is using the CCamera API, which can provide you uncompressed YUV stream (actual capabilities vary, check the bits of TCameraInfo::iVideoFrameFormatsSupported, provided by CCamera::CameraInfo), then you can compress and send it manually - creating your own codec or getting one from somewhere else.
    The other way is waiting: Nokia tends to supply extension plugins for the SDK-s, you can check existing plugins on http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/SDK_API_Plug-in - as you can see such plugin is not available for the S60 5th edition (yet), however the promising aspect is that in the newest plugin pack (S60 3rd FP2) contains a new API, MDFDevVideo. And it seems to be about compressed video streams. You can either wait and hope, or you can go for API partnering (which cost money however). The very first paragraph of the plugin-related page contains a link to the description of the partnering program - since the plugins themselves are part of it.

Welcome to Symbian development!

What wizard_hu_ says is true. The good news is that you will be able to access basically all the APIs on Symbian devices when the Symbian Foundation makes the code available. The bad news is that for those not paying to be a member of the Symbian Foundation, it's going to take another 18 months (ish) for ALL of the code to be available.

If/when there is a plug-in pack for S60 5th Edition you might want to try the Media Recorder API rather than MDFDevVideo directly. It should be a lot easier to use (although obviously you don't have as much control).

For an existing open source effort in this area, please look at Movino:
    http://www.movino.org/

Implicit in all of the advice given so far, is that the only language for doing the sort of things you're asking about at the moment is C++ (with a special Symbian flavor). You could also consider using Qt for S60 (although it isn't yet mature) and writing common user interfaces for both S60 and Maemo devices with platform specific extensions to access the hardware!

Mark

Nokia Developer Moderator

Thank you Mark, actually I was trying to find Movino (the name) for almost 20 minutes (Blogs, FNC list archive, the boards), but it was past midnight, so I gave up.

Thanks guys for your help and insight. I appreciate it and I really appreciate the quick response! That's better response time and more helpful than some of the help that I asked for on the Maemo/GStreamer forums. So Thanks alot for that. I will check out those links and APIs and see where I can go from there. Thanks again.

MBFonz

Regular Contributor

I thought about using CVideoRecorder::OpenDesL for streaming. But it seems as if OpenDesL is still unsupported?
    Streaming alone would also work with the CCamera class. But for dark environments I want to have support for the flashlight - and it seems as if the flash only works with the CVideoRecorder::Record() method.

Thanks for that suggestion. I will look into that class and see what I can find out about it. As far as the lighting is concerned that is not an issue - I am assuming the user would have enough lighting to aid the camera and I am not expecting the device to create it's own light to help the secondary camera see. I am just concerned whether programmatically you have access to the camera and audio for streaming video from the secondary camera to some remote location. That is what I would like to accomplish.

MBFonz