Discussion Board

mmsc <-> wap gw <-> user

Hi,

I read most of the documents available but I am unclear about the connection from user to wapgw. Let's say my company buy a MMSC and subscribers change their MMSC in their handsets to our MMSC.

Which WAP gw will the users be connected to?
    Do I need to have my own WAP gw as well?
    If the users are connected to their providers' WAP gw, will they be able to connect to my MMSC?

Thanks for any replies!

RE: mmsc <-> wap gw <-> user

Hi,
    As a MMSC Service Provider you need to tie-up with the Mobile Network Provider and configure your MMSC with the WAP Gateway of the Mobile Network Provider. The user will have to configure his handset with the URL Provided by you for your MMS Service. The request reaches the WAP Gateway of the Mobile Network Provider and then is to be directed to your MMSC.

In this senario the Mobile Network Provider can give his user a choice of MMS Service Provider. But generally that is not the case. The Mobile Network Provider will be the MMS Service Provider as well.

Hope you find this useful.
    Regards
    Srinivasa Vellanki

Super Contributor

RE: mmsc <-> wap gw <-> user

Hi,

Most of the operators have a dedicated WAPGW for their MMSC and it only allows connection to their own MMSC. Also most of the operators public GW's don't allow MMS messages.

However, there are &quot;free&quot; GW available, which also allows MMS messages.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia