Discussion Board

How to debug the application in RDA

Hi,

I installed the application and tried to excute. Its giving some problem. How can i debug it. I saw there is a Debug Log , but nothing is getting written there.

When i click on that Debug Log, it asks me to "Enter a new log file path on the device", i give some name for that and again execut the application, but no logs are getting generated.

I want to send messages to my inbox and check whether those messages are properly displayed.So how can i get to know the device number?

Please let me know about this ASAP.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to debug the application in RDA

The debug log console does not automatically generate any debug data, it's a tool that can be used to view text files (and in some cases to capture SymbianOS panics). i.e if your application would write debug data to lets say file "debug.txt" file, you could view the file in real time while running the application.

the device IMEI + phone number is visible in reservation system (see the "phones"-tab and look under the device name). Incoming SMS/phone calls will go through to the device (if that's required by your testing; for example testing incoming interruptions while running the app), but outgoing telephony is blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodredsky View Post
    The debug log console does not automatically generate any debug data, it's a tool that can be used to view text files (and in some cases to capture SymbianOS panics). i.e if your application would write debug data to lets say file "debug.txt" file, you could view the file in real time while running the application.

the device IMEI + phone number is visible in reservation system (see the "phones"-tab and look under the device name). Incoming SMS/phone calls will go through to the device (if that's required by your testing; for example testing incoming interruptions while running the app), but outgoing telephony is blocked.
    Thanks bloodredsky.I got the point.
    I have one more request,can you please add N72 and 6630 device,its important for me to test in that models.

Hi,

I used that mobile number to send the message using the default messaging app,After clicking on send im getting message as "Unable to send the message to 358504877457"

When i try to send the message using my SMS application, I'm getting an SymbianOs error=-4562:Text message :\nCheck network Services

Please tell me the solution for this, so that i can carry on testing for the same.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chaishekar View Post
    Hi,

I used that mobile number to send the message using the default messaging app,After clicking on send im getting message as "Unable to send the message to 358504877457"

When i try to send the message using my SMS application, I'm getting an SymbianOs error=-4562:Text message :\nCheck network Services

Please tell me the solution for this, so that i can carry on testing for the same.

Thanks
    since "358" is the country code part, you'll need to add "+" symbol in front of the number -> "+358504877457". Otherwise the number should be valid (but I can confirm that tomorrow).

since "358" is the country code part, you'll need to add "+" symbol in front of the number -> "+358504877457". Otherwise the number should be valid (but I can confirm that tomorrow).
    Hi bloodredsky,

I used the built-in message application, Created a message with the destination number as "+358504877457" and when clicked on send, it gave me a message as "Unable to send the message to "+358504877457".

I think the sending of outgoing SMS is blocked by RDA. "Other types of networks access (outgoing phone calls, outgoing SMS/MMS etc.) are blocked." I'm thinking of ways of how to recieve incoming SMS on RDA when I chanced upon this thread. Does anyone has any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by yahlowgrin View Post
    I think the sending of outgoing SMS is blocked by RDA. "Other types of networks access (outgoing phone calls, outgoing SMS/MMS etc.) are blocked." I'm thinking of ways of how to recieve incoming SMS on RDA when I chanced upon this thread. Does anyone has any idea?
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    There is another point mentioned as below:-
    Incoming phone calls and incoming SMSs. This allows developers to test incoming interruptions as specified in Symbian Signed/Java Verified test criteria.

How can i test Incoming SMS's. Is it like i have to message to "+3580XXXXXX" from my mobile and check?

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Incoming phone calls and incoming SMSs. This allows developers to test incoming interruptions as specified in Symbian Signed/Java Verified test criteria.

How can i test Incoming SMS's. Is it like i have to message to "+3580XXXXXX" from my mobile and check?

Please reply to this ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by chaishekar View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.

Please reply to this ASAP.
    Sorry, missed this question. Yeah,it means you can send SMS to any RDA device from your own phone using the phone number which is visible in "phones"-tab.

Regular Contributor

Thanks BloodredSky

Hi,

Thank you, bloodredsky.

But that will incur a huge amount of overseas sms costs, since I'm not staying in that region, is there another way that I can avoid this?

Quote Originally Posted by yahlowgrin View Post
    Hi,

Thank you, bloodredsky.

But that will incur a huge amount of overseas sms costs, since I'm not staying in that region, is there another way that I can avoid this?
    Currently there's no workaround for this... Except maybe using some 3rd party service to send the SMS (which might be cheaper than sending them directly. here's one I quickly googled: http://www.freecall.com). But since I don't have much experience from those, I can't really recomment them .

It might not be a totally crazy idea to implement some sort of "send me SMS" feature to RDA - i.e when you'd just click a button in RDA, one of the phones we have would send SMS to the phone the user is currently using in RDA.. But this is just a thought.

PS. how much does sending international SMSs cost to you? I'm just curious.

Hi bloodredsky,

Thank you for your reply once again. =)

I think it costs around 50 cents (SGD) for overseas sms. I'm not really sure on that but from my personal experience, it's 50 cents.

Regular Contributor

hi friends,

Can I put logs in RDA. at a particular location on device.
    and check for the text data logged on the device.
    Say for example:
    c:\Logs\MyDir using RFileLogger class

Thanks,
    himanshu