Discussion Board

GPS in Nokia 5800 xpress

Hi guys,

I recently purchased Nokia 5800 xpressmusic phone. This phone has GPS functionality. I wanted to know few things about GPS.

- Is GPS free or does it require internet?
    - Is nokia maps only way to use it or are there better third party tools.
    - Can I get voice assisted directions ?

How can I go about using GPS and how good is it? Will be glad if anyone can let me know.

Thanks,

----------------------------------------
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2010-02-02 at 12:45. Reason: Removed spam

Re: GPS in Nokia 5800 xpress

- Is GPS free or does it require internet?
    GPS itself is free and does not "require" internet. However if you want quicker locks on your GPS signal you will want to use A-GPS (Assisted GPS). The assisted part is internet which gives hints as to your current location based on several factors. I would recommend internet if you want quick GPS locks.

- Is nokia maps only way to use it or are there better third party tools.
    There are hundreds of GPS based tools out there for the S60 platform. Nokia Maps is just one of the many solutions you can use your GPS for. Another mapping example of course would be Google Maps.

- Can I get voice assisted directions ?
    Voice guided navigation typically comes free for 1 to 3 months depending on the device you get. After that you have to pay for a subscription fee. All of this of course is assuming you are using Nokia Maps.

Hope this help. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Super Contributor

Information also on http://maps.nokia.com/

And user-to-user discussion boards here: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/....id=navigation

Do I have to purchase a data plan in order to use the Nokia 5800 GPS on the road? I ask this because when I use the gps, the gps searching icon on the bottom right keeps blinking and the signal doesnt get stronger. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gr3n3gsnsam View Post
    Do I have to purchase a data plan in order to use the Nokia 5800 GPS on the road? I ask this because when I use the gps, the gps searching icon on the bottom right keeps blinking and the signal doesnt get stronger. thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Nokia Developer discussion board, as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

GPS does not require GPRS data plan, however it helps in locating the GPS signals. If you are trying it for the first time it might take some time.