Discussion Board

Question Can we run S60 3rd edition FP1 application on 3rd edition (initial release) device?

Hi
    Can we run application developed for S60 3rd edition FP1 on 3rd edition (initial release) device?

I built QtS60HelloWorld application on S60 3rd edition FP1 for armv5 udeb, and successfully installed it on N73(bsaed on 3rd edition (initial release)). But it is not opening up. Also, I already installed Qt libraries (qt_libs_armv5_udeb.sisx).

Thanks in advance
    Sumit

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Can we run S60 3rd edition FP1 application on 3rd edition (initial release) devic

It depends. If you or the libraries you use use any functionality/APIs that only exist on FP1 or later, then it'll be hard to run the FP1 application on the earlier S60 release.

There's no guaranteed forward compatibility between S60/Symbian versions.

Only backward compatibility is guaranteed (to some extent).

I.e., an FP1 application should run as-is on FP2, but no guarantees if you want to do it vice versa.

Re: Can we run S60 3rd edition FP1 application on 3rd edition (initial release) devic

Hi
    I am able to run Symbian's HelloWorld application built on FP1 in my N73, it means we can run FP1 applications on 3rd edition (initial release) device?

But still I am not able to QtS60HelloWorld on the same device. To run Qt applications, I installed following sis files:
    pips_nokia_1_3_SS.sis
    qt_libs_armv5_udeb.sisx

Also, I built Qt libraries for armv5 urel and pushed them into the device by including in my application's pkg file (only for once).

Please let me know if I am missing any step.

Regards
    Sumit

Nokia Developer Moderator

Qt for S60 doesn't provide official support for 3rd edition, only 3rd edition FP1 onwards.

Cheers,
    Jack

Thanks for your reply Jack

But it is mentioned at Trolltech's site that Qt has been tested on N73, here is the link of that document:

http://labs.trolltech.com/page/QtforS60FAQ

Q: Which devices has Qt been tested on?
    A: E71, N95, N75, 5800 XpressMusic, E90, N73 and 6210 Navigator.
    Are there any software updates for N73 to use Qt over it??

Regards
    Sumit

Hi,

No guarantees on 3rd Edition, although it probably should work...

Just the pips SIS file is not enough, you need to install all of Open C.

Mark

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi,
    actually I believe PIPS is enough. But it doesn't change the fact that 3.0 is not supported.

Cheers,
    Jack

Hi
    On 5th edition device, after installing Qt libraries, we can install our app's sis file only. Please let me know if there is any other dependency.

I'm not so certain on that Jack, aren't there dependencies on things like SSL? And possibly zlib?

You're 100% correct to state that 3.0 isn't supported. However, there's no reason why it can't be "in theory" as I understand it, it's just a case of "you have to draw a line somewhere". If people are willing to experiment it'd be interesting to find out if we can support several million more devices for free!

Mark

P.S. 5th Edition has all of Open C/C++ pre-installed in the firmware.