Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Question What is the content protection model for applications on the Ovi store?

Hi,
    We have an application that requires registration, it can't use the IMEI of the device since this is not accessible for trusted 3rd parties in Nokia's Java ME.
    Thus we require the user to input a registration code this connects to our "activation server" and registers the application. My questions:

1. Would a user get a registration code like this as part of the purchase process or will have to submit an "unlocked" application?

2. If the latter (unlocked) what sort of guarantee can Nokia make against copying (e.g. installing on smartcard and moving to a different device).

3. Would there be an option for a trusted signature from Nokia itself?
    This would be more similar to the "Apple experience" since trusted 3rd party is "problematic".

4. Our application requires that the user change some default permission settings, this might not be intuitive on some Nokia devices (especially S60 where the option is really hidden). Would there be a means to convey these needs?

Thank you kindly.
    Shai.

Exclamation Re: What is the content protection model for applications on the Ovi store?

Quote Originally Posted by vprise View Post
    Hi,
    We have an application that requires registration, it can't use the IMEI of the device since this is not accessible for trusted 3rd parties in Nokia's Java ME.
    Thus we require the user to input a registration code this connects to our "activation server" and registers the application. My questions:

1. Would a user get a registration code like this as part of the purchase process or will have to submit an "unlocked" application?

2. If the latter (unlocked) what sort of guarantee can Nokia make against copying (e.g. installing on smartcard and moving to a different device).

3. Would there be an option for a trusted signature from Nokia itself?
    This would be more similar to the "Apple experience" since trusted 3rd party is "problematic".

4. Our application requires that the user change some default permission settings, this might not be intuitive on some Nokia devices (especially S60 where the option is really hidden). Would there be a means to convey these needs?

Thank you kindly.
    Shai.
    Java applications required to be signed appropriately prior publishing on OVI, no signing related warning messages are allowed at any circumstances

For more info, please visit http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=158966

Angry Re: What is the content protection model for applications on the Ovi store?

I think if a Sun J2ME guru has issues publishing an application, other small developers have no chance bringing an application on Ovi store. I don't understand why the strongest manufacturer can not use the Apple or Google approach and use a set of tests and give that damn certificates by themselves.
    Last edited by cozmin; 2009-02-18 at 09:29.