Discussion Board

Unhappy [moved] 5800 program menu stays black (no program icons)

Hi there,

I wanted to create a news SVG icon for my Symbian C++ Program (5th edition). I changed something and it worked but I did not had the correct picture as icon, so I changed it again. After reinstalling and restarting the phone (without restart you would not see any change in the S60 programm menu) I opened the programm menu and not a single icon was displayed. (changed into the landscape mode - still no icon (of no programm) It is a normal from with the back and options label but no icons)

After reinstalling the program the menu was displayed correctly again. I tried to change back the svg to the old one but it still makes the S60 programm menu black.

Does anyone has a clue what I do wrong or where the problem could be located?

-db

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: 5800 program menu stays black (no program icons)

Do you mean that there is no icon to select, i.e. no text either and you can not select and start the application by clicking it ?

if so, then something goes wrong with our registration resource file building..

If you see black, i.e. the background, then for some reason your ison is black, or it is fully transparent, since if the icon would be brokern, then the system would display a default icon for your application.

Well there is no text either and not default icon.

More than that it does not only effect my application, it effects every application which should appear in the programm menu. So no application is displayed anymore.

that sounds like some sort of platform bug, but I'm sure there should be something wrong with the SVG image you have also, so can you try "borrowing" some other mif file from the resource folder and checking with it that it is working ok. And if it is, then try figuring out what is wrong with that particuler SVG.

Also you could check whether you could update your firmware, could be that the problem is already fixed in never versions.

It would be fun to have that SVG file for a test. Can you send it to fn.support@nokia.com together with info about the firmware version on your phone?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi,

I've also experienced problems with this, I tried to create myself a seperate RSS Feed folder in the "Web" menu of the 5800. I managed to create the folder named "RSS Feeds" but I'd like to add the RSS logo to the folder, instead of having the default folder icon.

There are no options under the menu, is there another way to add an image to the folder?

I notice you talked about an SVG image, would this be the file type I have to use?

Thanks,

Jamie

Your problem is totally different and the answer is no, you cannot create folders with custom icons on the Menu grid. Maybe through themes but I don't think even that would be an option.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ---___db___--- View Post
    Well there is no text either and not default icon.

More than that it does not only effect my application, it effects every application which should appear in the programm menu. So no application is displayed anymore.
    I can confirm the observed behavior and, although you have an older firmware upgrading it will not solve your problem.

My guess is that the icon is the source of the problem, the menu application fails to render it and ends up not displaying anything. I will report this as an error and it will be most likely fixed ... sometime, at least to the extent of having the deffective icon ignored and replaced with the default one.

As for solving the problem on your side, here are my recommendations:
    • avoid using any raster images in the SVG, I've explained this many times on the forum so I will not repeat why this is a bad idea
      • our graphic designers tell me that great icons can be achieved with basic elements but quite frankly I'm not able to give you guidance in this area. However, try to make your icon composed of paths only and some color gradients.
    • test your icon with multiple viewer
      • Adobe SVG Viewer plug-in - your icon load but very slow in that viewer and when I zoom in it disappears -> fail
      • Firefox - its native SVG rendering shows the icon but as I don't have a zoom feature I can't really say the icon passes the test
      • phone's image viewer - send the image on the phone and open it from inbox or file manager - if this test fails (it does for your icon) there's no point going further and converting it to a MIF, the same engine will try to render the icon and fail.

Btw, I have not run this icon through the SVG2SVGT filter but you shoud try it if you have not done so and then compare the output (and its behavior) with the original image.
    -- Lucian

Re: [moved] 5800 program menu stays black (no program icons)

-- Lucian

@ltomuta

Data sent :)

Edit*
    Thx for the post I will check that out. I'm not that artist so I have not fun with that stuff at all but as posted below I think there could be a other problem...

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    that sounds like some sort of platform bug, but I'm sure there should be something wrong with the SVG image you have also, so can you try "borrowing" some other mif file from the resource folder and checking with it that it is working ok. And if it is, then try figuring out what is wrong with that particuler SVG.

Also you could check whether you could update your firmware, could be that the problem is already fixed in never versions.
    Basically I will not update the firmware for now (not my phone I have to check that out first)

My application is based on the mobilePaint example. I figured out today that the normal example works fine. After changing some things (not the svg) I had the same result.

Is there anything I may not do:

Import bld file and call the projekt ChipmunkS60 (instead MobilePaint)
    Having own certicates for the phone (Chipmunk.sis, .sisx)

Changing (the name of the uninstallfiletexts/installfiletexts):

pkg file (only the name not the UID) -> #{"ChipmunkS60"},(0xA000A332),1,0,0

Changing some texts in the help folder for aligning the names and helptexts and so on

Changing (the name which is under the icon):

MobilePaint.rls -> #define qtn_caption_string "ChipmunkS60"

I think that is strange :o

This is a bit difficult to follow (at this late hour) but if I understand you right you say that you can reproduce the problem my modifying some parts of the MobilePaint example (not the icon). If so, please do send us the modified example so we can file compare it to the original and then understand the implications of your changes.
    -- Lucian

Email is on the Way with all necessary files! For all who want to test it:

* Deinstalled all applications
    * Restarted the phone
    * Installed the MobilePaint_S60_5_0_v_1_0_0_custom.selfs.sis which comes with the demo app
    * -> Workes fine
    * deinstall the application
    * Restarting the phone
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * C:\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\

MobilePaintExample named -> ChipmunkS60

* imported the .bld file and used the automatic generated name: ChipmunkS60
    * changed the MobilePaint_S60_5_0_v_1_0_0.pkg:

"epoc32\release\gcce\urel\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.exe"
    "epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.rsc" -"!:\resource\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.rsc"
    "epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332_reg.rsc"
    "epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.mif"
    "epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\mobilepaint.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\mobilepaint.mif"
    "epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\mobilepaint.mbm" -"!:\resource\apps\mobilepaint.mbm"

to:

"C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9_2\epoc32\release\gcce\urel\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.exe"
    "C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9_2\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.rsc" -"!:\resource\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.rsc"
    "C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9_2\epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332_reg.rsc"
    "C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9_2\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\MobilePaint_0xA000A332.mif"
    "C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9_2\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\mobilepaint.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\mobilepaint.mif"
    "C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v0.9_2\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\mobilepaint.mbm" -"!:\resource\apps\mobilepaint.mbm"

* added a certificate for sining (ChipmunkS60.sis,ChipmunkS60.sisx)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Installed the application
    * Programm(Applications) menu is black
    * Restarting the Phone
    * Deinstalled the application
    * Programm(Applications) menu works
    * Restarting the Phone

other try:

* Installed shiped sis file
    * Installed custom sis file (asks to replace the old file (both have same UID)) yes we do)
    * Programm(Applications) menu works - if you would change significant things like the helpmenu you could see the change not when you run the program althought you have the "old" icon (if you want so see a change in the icon you have to restart - normal rule for messing around with icon files)
    * Restarting the Phone
    * If you would install the shipped sis file now you would get an update(0) error
    * Installed the application
    * Installed the shipped sis file

O.o

We had a look at the submited project but we cannot reproduce the problem. I suspect that the icon is still the cuplable item and it must be that when you build your project the broken icon is being reused instead of a new one being compiled (which reminds me to propose a fix to the Carbide.c++ team).

Please fix your icon and to test it make sure to delete the existing *.mif file from the file system.

To do so automaticaly, add the following lines to the *.mk file that generates your icon (mind the TAB character, it is mandatory to start the command row with it):

Code:
    CLEAN :
    	@echo .:. Deleting target icon file
    	del /q /f $(ICONTARGETFILENAME)
    -- Lucian

Worked for now!

Is that the way how carbide works?

If I Build the project that it just rebuilds files which have been changed? Or does it always build all files?