Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: will Publish allow for ebooks?

I've done a search on the Ovi Store for "eBook" and I had quite a few results, with both free and paid content.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    I've done a search on the Ovi Store for "eBook" and I had quite a few results, with both free and paid content.
    This is true however these have all been formated into standalone apps. I do know how ot reformat published files however there are no clear guidlines to format the universally recognised epub format to a sisx or java app which all require extensive handset testing. Allowing epub uploads would allow for a universally usable ebook file.

I have tried many converter programs and cannot find one reliable PDF/txt to app available on the market. There have been many promising to do this but none fit the ovi standard.

If there is a tried and tested program that will do this it would help the community greatly. A standard allowance for several accepted ebook formats would remove the reqquirement for complicated apps formatting and handset specific conflicts . Even an allowance for an xhtml upload would be useful.

Fastcomm, the problem is simple: an ePub file cannot be simply allowed in the store since there is no built-in reader software on the device. A user tempted to buy the book will end up with a file on the device and no book to read. That is not acceptable.

A Java or a native application running on the device can provide the thin wrapper needed for displaying the content in one format or another. I have not seen yet any WRT books but I guess that's also a possible solution, a very simple one especially for books already encoded in HTML format.

BTW, SISX is a installer file format, just like *.msi on Windows. There's no conversion (or convertor) from anything to SIS. You simply package your content in a sis, which as simple as specifying the source and destination of a file
    Code:
    mybook.ePub - e:\eBooks\mybook.ePub
    A sis can only solve your deployment need, the question still remains what to do with the eBook file once nicely copied at destination.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    There's no conversion (or convertor) from anything to SIS. You simply package your content in a sis, which as simple as specifying the source and destination of a file
    Code:
    mybook.ePub - e:\eBooks\mybook.ePub
    A sis can only solve your deployment need, the question still remains what to do with the eBook file once nicely copied at destination.
    I have found a sis packager program today I need to test it and will advise the community of its usefulness

I have used Adobe dreamweaver to create an ebook wrt however it always outputs around 92 MB which is unsuitable for the mobile apps market.
    This was using the template provided by Nokia.

I have created an xhtml and html file which includes the reader. This would be suitable for any handset. The file size is small enough and contains all the navigation and formatting necessary. This solves the issue of user compatibility as most handsets on the market today can read xhtml. There is no option to publish an xhtml ebook as a file in the upload area.

Many of the new Nokia handset come with pdf reader so even a pdf allowance would be suitable as an ebook as long as the publisher pretested it for suitability on the handset which is a requirement for apps anyway. Even my N70 had one.

A final option to the ebook conundrum which has seen OVI host but a few of the many available ebooks would be to allow an ebook freeware reader package to be uploaded.

I definitely think the ovi team should look at all the available options to help the publishers open up the ebook market on OVI apps. For the most part there is little to no information given on the best way to publish ebooks to ovi. I think it would be in the best interest of the development team to look into this. This is an issue I have seen discussed on other forums and definitely something that would drive market share and traffic to OVI
    Last edited by Fastcomm; 2010-06-11 at 01:14.

Any Symbian SDK has the sis packager, and there are some specialized ones as well, like the Forum Nokia Flash Lite Online Packager. Still, it is more than a packager you need, the SIS file would have to be signed in order to be accepted by the device. Well, as already discussed above, until you solve the player problem there is no need for a sis packager or for signing tools.

How much text encoded as HTML would one need to have to sum-up a 92 MB compressed text file? Are you sure you have just a book and not an entire library?

You can upload any suitable reader as long as you have the legal rights to distribute it. Package your book with it and that's all you need.
    -- Lucian