Discussion Board

Hybrid View

will Publish allow for ebooks?

I'm a translator. I'm publishing my own translations in mobipocket format because Amazon allows me to publish my ebooks on their site.

As a test, I made a collection of ebooks that I uploaded to MOSH (traskila59's collection). One of the books is a Finnish cooking book originally published in 1919. It has now been downloaded over six hundred times - which in Finland is rather well for a cooking book ninety years old.

My question: will Ovi allow me to publish my books on Publish.Ovi - some of which will be free, some for fee.

best,

Jussi

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: will Publish allow for ebooks?

Hi Jussi - thanks for your question about ebook support. Let me ask the Ovi team and get back to you here in this thread.

Best,
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]
    Sr. Services Marketing Manager, Forum Nokia
    Publishing to Ovi Store: [url]http://publish.ovi.com/[/url]
    twitter: [url]www.twitter.com/bperry[/url]
    blog: [url]www.mobileperry.com[/url]

Is this question going to be answered?

Quote Originally Posted by themetesting View Post
    Is this question going to be answered?
    I'd also like to know the answer to this question.

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Some details are missing here, like the format in which these books are distributed and how likely it is that the format is supported on customer's devices.

On Mosh I've found one such book as "The_Prussian_Officer.prc". I'm not familiar with the format and I'm almost sure that my phone is not familiar with it either. So, what are you really selling me is a blob of data which once downloaded shows the nice "Feature not supported" message.

You seem to be happy with the 664 downloads for one book, but how many of those downloads could really be read?

I think it is clear that Ovi Store is all about guaranteed quality of service. The apps you sell must be certified and must run on customer's device just as well as the content you provide must be supported (rendered) natively by device.

There is another thread on the forum which clearly states that content for 3rd party applications cannot be sold through Ovi Store, not at this time at least.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2009-04-05 at 10:39.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

.prc is the Mobipocket format, which is a very commonly used format for e-books. There are free Mobipocket readers for almost every platform including S60 and J2ME.

That would still require a third party app though, so if that's a problem perhaps Ovi Store could allow ebooks to be distributed in the .txt format?

The .txt format should work on every device's built-in Notes application, and the same files would also work on all third party ebook readers if people have them installed, so there would be both built-in and third party options for viewing such files.

Quote Originally Posted by mobileperry View Post
    Hi Jussi - thanks for your question about ebook support. Let me ask the Ovi team and get back to you here in this thread.

Best,
    Did the OVI team ever get back to you? It would be simple enough if they would allow publishers to upload the universaly recognised epub format for ebooks however I have trialed various programs and nothing lets me convert the ebook I want to publish to ovi into the current allowed formats. I really wish that someone in ovi would look into this as this makes ovi non versatile to the ebook market.

What are the "current allowed formats" for e-books in the Ovi Store you wish to find a converter for?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Question Re: will Publish allow for ebooks?

Hello MP,

Did this ever get an answer? I'd have thought it would be in everyones interest to get ebooks up and running on the Ovi store ASAP!

I've done a search on the Ovi Store for "eBook" and I had quite a few results, with both free and paid content.
    -- Lucian

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    I've done a search on the Ovi Store for "eBook" and I had quite a few results, with both free and paid content.
    This is true however these have all been formated into standalone apps. I do know how ot reformat published files however there are no clear guidlines to format the universally recognised epub format to a sisx or java app which all require extensive handset testing. Allowing epub uploads would allow for a universally usable ebook file.

I have tried many converter programs and cannot find one reliable PDF/txt to app available on the market. There have been many promising to do this but none fit the ovi standard.

If there is a tried and tested program that will do this it would help the community greatly. A standard allowance for several accepted ebook formats would remove the reqquirement for complicated apps formatting and handset specific conflicts . Even an allowance for an xhtml upload would be useful.

Fastcomm, the problem is simple: an ePub file cannot be simply allowed in the store since there is no built-in reader software on the device. A user tempted to buy the book will end up with a file on the device and no book to read. That is not acceptable.

A Java or a native application running on the device can provide the thin wrapper needed for displaying the content in one format or another. I have not seen yet any WRT books but I guess that's also a possible solution, a very simple one especially for books already encoded in HTML format.

BTW, SISX is a installer file format, just like *.msi on Windows. There's no conversion (or convertor) from anything to SIS. You simply package your content in a sis, which as simple as specifying the source and destination of a file
    Code:
    mybook.ePub - e:\eBooks\mybook.ePub
    A sis can only solve your deployment need, the question still remains what to do with the eBook file once nicely copied at destination.
    -- Lucian

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    There's no conversion (or convertor) from anything to SIS. You simply package your content in a sis, which as simple as specifying the source and destination of a file
    Code:
    mybook.ePub - e:\eBooks\mybook.ePub
    A sis can only solve your deployment need, the question still remains what to do with the eBook file once nicely copied at destination.
    I have found a sis packager program today I need to test it and will advise the community of its usefulness

I have used Adobe dreamweaver to create an ebook wrt however it always outputs around 92 MB which is unsuitable for the mobile apps market.
    This was using the template provided by Nokia.

I have created an xhtml and html file which includes the reader. This would be suitable for any handset. The file size is small enough and contains all the navigation and formatting necessary. This solves the issue of user compatibility as most handsets on the market today can read xhtml. There is no option to publish an xhtml ebook as a file in the upload area.

Many of the new Nokia handset come with pdf reader so even a pdf allowance would be suitable as an ebook as long as the publisher pretested it for suitability on the handset which is a requirement for apps anyway. Even my N70 had one.

A final option to the ebook conundrum which has seen OVI host but a few of the many available ebooks would be to allow an ebook freeware reader package to be uploaded.

I definitely think the ovi team should look at all the available options to help the publishers open up the ebook market on OVI apps. For the most part there is little to no information given on the best way to publish ebooks to ovi. I think it would be in the best interest of the development team to look into this. This is an issue I have seen discussed on other forums and definitely something that would drive market share and traffic to OVI
    Last edited by Fastcomm; 2010-06-11 at 01:14.