Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

will Publish allow for ebooks?

I'm a translator. I'm publishing my own translations in mobipocket format because Amazon allows me to publish my ebooks on their site.

As a test, I made a collection of ebooks that I uploaded to MOSH (traskila59's collection). One of the books is a Finnish cooking book originally published in 1919. It has now been downloaded over six hundred times - which in Finland is rather well for a cooking book ninety years old.

My question: will Ovi allow me to publish my books on Publish.Ovi - some of which will be free, some for fee.

best,

Jussi

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: will Publish allow for ebooks?

Hi Jussi - thanks for your question about ebook support. Let me ask the Ovi team and get back to you here in this thread.

Best,
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]
    Sr. Services Marketing Manager, Forum Nokia
    Publishing to Ovi Store: [url]http://publish.ovi.com/[/url]
    twitter: [url]www.twitter.com/bperry[/url]
    blog: [url]www.mobileperry.com[/url]

Is this question going to be answered?

Quote Originally Posted by themetesting View Post
    Is this question going to be answered?
    I'd also like to know the answer to this question.

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Some details are missing here, like the format in which these books are distributed and how likely it is that the format is supported on customer's devices.

On Mosh I've found one such book as "The_Prussian_Officer.prc". I'm not familiar with the format and I'm almost sure that my phone is not familiar with it either. So, what are you really selling me is a blob of data which once downloaded shows the nice "Feature not supported" message.

You seem to be happy with the 664 downloads for one book, but how many of those downloads could really be read?

I think it is clear that Ovi Store is all about guaranteed quality of service. The apps you sell must be certified and must run on customer's device just as well as the content you provide must be supported (rendered) natively by device.

There is another thread on the forum which clearly states that content for 3rd party applications cannot be sold through Ovi Store, not at this time at least.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2009-04-05 at 10:39.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

.prc is the Mobipocket format, which is a very commonly used format for e-books. There are free Mobipocket readers for almost every platform including S60 and J2ME.

That would still require a third party app though, so if that's a problem perhaps Ovi Store could allow ebooks to be distributed in the .txt format?

The .txt format should work on every device's built-in Notes application, and the same files would also work on all third party ebook readers if people have them installed, so there would be both built-in and third party options for viewing such files.

An eBook in Notepad? Not my kind of reading ...

Is there a freeware *.PRC player that you could distribute with your application? Or maybe you should write yourself a small application that you deliver with the books and provide some decent user experience (bookmarks, collection management, ...) or a more advanced one with e.g. TTS.

You keep your application light and distribute it for free with the book purchased. This way you will distribute SIS files with guaranteed means of playing the books on the receiving phone and thus without any restrictions from Ovi Store.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    An eBook in Notepad? Not my kind of reading ...
    No, but most ebook fans would probably already have a third party ebook application such as Mobipocket installed to view their ebook collection.

The Ovi Store agreement might forbid content which requires a third party app, but that wouldn't be the case with .txt as such a file is (technically) viewable through Notes.

The problem with bundling a viewer with the content is that it would see people downloading the same viewer again and again. "Keeping it light" would restrict the features available on the viewer. It would make more sense to just let people download the bare content so they can view it on an ebook/text app of their choice (including Notes so that it doesn't break the Ovi Store agreement).

The .prc file format belongs to Amazon.com although they do distribute the application to compile the ebooks.

However, there is an open source file format .epub which is a zip package with XML providing the structure and XHTML
    the content. There are reading devices and apps that support the format already. On mobile devices there is
    Stanza for iPhone and FBReader for Linux OS devices. On S60 devices you should - at least for the moment -
    read epubs on the web browser thru services like bookworm.oreilly.com

Not being a software engineer I can't say what sort a task it should be to make a standalone reader for S60.

As a translator I just wish that the content that I provide would be regarded just as usual as wallpapers, ringing tones,
    videos etc etc for which Publish Ovi is opening the door.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    "BooKu Reader for Symbian S60 3rd 1.0 ",http://www.fileguru.com/BooKu-Reader...3rd/info,reads TBM format e-books not the Amazon format. The most popular format is Adobe PDF and has e-book support which costs money unlike BooKu.
    Thanks
    Jim

Smile Re: will Publish allow for ebooks?

TBM seems to be another closed format like .prc and what not.

<strong>EPUB</strong> is the way to go .... because .... it's free (as in beer)...

BUT, S60 needs a atandalone reader app for that.

K, I also wish to release ebooks (novels) on Ovi. Some of mine would be free, others pay.

So, reading the below, how about .doc format? Any Nokia smart enough to read books on has a .doc reader pre-installed, or you could download it from Ovi if not. (Especially as Nokia has just announced an 'alliance' with Msoft in regards the Office suite).

Also, I would mention the format in the notes on the store. It's not really rocket science is it?

If it's easy to publish on Ovi, then it will become more popular, and more people will use it. (Viral marketing it's called.) So it's really in everyone's interest to make this work.

I don't want to pay a fee to become a publisher, only to see my ebooks turned down, so would appreciate a definite answer on this one if someone could! Thanks.

Let's start to kick that other phone(store) in the bottom, it annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by mobileperry View Post
    Hi Jussi - thanks for your question about ebook support. Let me ask the Ovi team and get back to you here in this thread.

Best,
    Did the OVI team ever get back to you? It would be simple enough if they would allow publishers to upload the universaly recognised epub format for ebooks however I have trialed various programs and nothing lets me convert the ebook I want to publish to ovi into the current allowed formats. I really wish that someone in ovi would look into this as this makes ovi non versatile to the ebook market.

What are the "current allowed formats" for e-books in the Ovi Store you wish to find a converter for?
    -- Lucian

Question Re: will Publish allow for ebooks?

Hello MP,

Did this ever get an answer? I'd have thought it would be in everyones interest to get ebooks up and running on the Ovi store ASAP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast