Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Please add Express Signed for Java

Currently it is *much* easier to get an application Symbian Signed than it is to get it Java Verified, because there is nothing equivalent to Symbian Signed for Java.

I have written a native Symbian application for S60 and I am currently writing a Java version for Series 40 with the exact same functionality. Yet, I won't be able to publish the Series 40 version on Ovi until at least one after the S60 version because it needs to be approved by a testing house. Also, Series 40 version will be much more expensive to publish due to per-model testing fees.

I understand that this is something that may be difficult and/or impossible to do for already-deployed handsets. However, please consider at least adding an "Express Signed" certificate to future Series 40 handsets.

Re: Please add Express Signed for Java

Not much to add except the obligatory: AOL.

I couldn't agree more - Java signing NEEDS to be streamlined. That, or Nokia should push for more S60-devices and drop S40 entirely (my preferred solution

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by briansmith View Post
    Currently it is *much* easier to get an application Symbian Signed than it is to get it Java Verified, because there is nothing equivalent to Symbian Signed for Java.

I have written a native Symbian application for S60 and I am currently writing a Java version for Series 40 with the exact same functionality. Yet, I won't be able to publish the Series 40 version on Ovi until at least one after the S60 version because it needs to be approved by a testing house. Also, Series 40 version will be much more expensive to publish due to per-model testing fees.

I understand that this is something that may be difficult and/or impossible to do for already-deployed handsets. However, please consider at least adding an "Express Signed" certificate to future Series 40 handsets.
    Thanks for your feedback. I'll pass this along to the Ovi team to let them know and if possible post back here what they say.

.bp
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]
    Sr. Services Marketing Manager, Forum Nokia
    Publishing to Ovi Store: [url]http://publish.ovi.com/[/url]
    twitter: [url]www.twitter.com/bperry[/url]
    blog: [url]www.mobileperry.com[/url]

Hi, Bill Perry

any developments on J2ME signing, using OVI?
    Thank you.

JF