Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Champion

One signed application to act on different configs ?

Hi all,

I will give an example to explain my problem better:

The application is an online searcher. It searches for the given keyword and returns some results.

Now there are 3 search providers: Google, MSN, Yahoo

for this I have to provide 3 applications as I want to avoid user having the choice. Thus Google promotes the application with googles Base address for search, and yahoo for the application with its own base url for search.

Here the only difference between all the applications is the "Base Search URL" and only for this difference I have to have 3 applications Signed.

I wanted to know if there is a way to sign the basic application and then pass this Base URL as configuration which is different for each installation.

However, it is important that any end user doesn't get any option to choose from the configs, but gets the config as downloaded.

Is this possible ????
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: One signed application to act on different configs ?

If you application can be Express Signed then the $20 required to sign each customized version should not be a problem.

If the application requires certified signing then sign the application once and embed its sis file in an "envelope" SIS that holds also the configuration file. This envelope SIS can then be used unsigned or, to remove the annoying mesage about the app being untrusted, you can use the express signed for it.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Thanks for the reply, but my main problem is to avoid Express Signing.

The true fact is that there would be atleast around 25-30 configurations and hence doinging so many express Signed is painful.
    More than the cost, it is the time to sign these many apps, and then if every 2-3 months we make a release, it will be even more difficult. !!!

Hope there is any other alternative... in J2ME this is pretty simple, java verified jar with customizable Jad file, so that the signed and verified jar will be same but just by changing jar, the app can be configurable !
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

The signature is applied to the whole SIS, there is no way to change the SIS content without breaking the signature.

That being said your only free option is delivering the settings through a self-signed package, with the appropriate warning message wich might not be something that the user likes to see.

As for the time spent in signing I would asume that to be minimal as the Express Signed (as the name says) is supposed to be a fast automated service.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Come to think about it, a rather unreliable trick that could be conidered is to have your applciation trying to find at install time the name of the SIS file from which is being installed. Then the name of the service could be encoded in the sis file name itself, say SearchTool_3_2_xxx.sis where internaly you use xxx as an indication for the customization to be appied to your app.
    -- Lucian

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Itomuta,

Yes we have thought of this idea too! but couldn't get any means to get the name of the installable file name! I guess that is another thing not possible !
    If you have some clues on that do pass them plz.. thanks
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

I will check if we have a technical solution available about this but not published yet (check the published ones too).
    -- Lucian

There is no "GetSisFileName" type of API but depending on how the file is expected to go into the device there are several locations where you should expect the file to be. In the worst case scenario you would have to do a full system search for files matching your name pattern.
    -- Lucian

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Itomuta,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I guess on many devices, the sis file is deleted once the installation completes, if the installation was from the Web download method.

Like i visit a site say www.mysite.com/myapp and I get the sis file, on download it installs itself and then the file is removed from the filesystem, hence no way to search!....

Also if I run a exe to launch at install time, there could be every chance that once this exe is launched, the file is deleted, by the time it performs the search ???
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

If the RUNWAITEND (RW) works as intended you should have all the needed time to search for the SIS file during the installation.
    -- Lucian

Nokia Developer Champion

Looks like the feasible solution ! I will try and let you know

Thanks...
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi ltomuta

Yes this actually worked with 3rd edition and I was able to do this...

Thanks,
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks for confirming this Amit. I hope you will find the time to post a wiki article too, with the relevant piece of code.
    -- Lucian

Nokia Developer Champion

Definitely I will do it soon.

Between, sadly this same code didn't work on 2nd edition!!!

The results so far:

On 6600 - The .exe didn't even launch on install time, with FR,RI or FR,RI,RW
    on 3230 - The .exe didn't even launch on install time, with FR,RI or FR,RI,RW
    on N70 - the same sis, did work !!!

The sis was built using 6.0s sdk, that is for 6600.

Any known issues with Run on install not running with 6600 ???
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Amit,

It worked all the times for me on S60 2nd Edition phones. However they are just abbreviation, you could try with fullform.

Use FILERUN,RUNINSTALL instead of FR,RI and see if it gives correct result.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team