Discussion Board

Request: PyS60 + Markdown.py = Portable Wiki

First, the background:
    One of the few apps I miss from Windows Mobile is bLADE Wiki that makes it easy to create and maintain a portable wiki on a mobile device. It has two key features that make it ideal for use on a mobile:
    1. Uses plain text files with a simple wiki syntax
    2. Does not require a web server to generate & view the generated HTML

Unfortunately, it is a .NET app and it looks unlikely that the developer will ever support non-.NET devices but I think a lot of people would benefit from a simple yet solid Portable Wiki.
    Next, an idea:
    Markdown is a well-known wiki syntax that already has a Python interpreter. It should be very easy for a Python programmer to put together a script that does the following:
    1. Opens a user-defined "Wiki root"
    2. Recurses through that directory and its subdirectories
    3. Converts all *.txt files to *.html files of the same name

This would be enough for a user to carry with them an easy-to-edit portable wiki that is easy to maintain with a text editor of their choice. The user could link a bookmark in their mobile's web browser to the portable wiki's homepage on their device to browse through their data, follow links, etc.
    It wouldn't need any more than that, but an enterprising developer could tack on a GUI that combines any or all of the following:
    • Built-in text editing
    • Management of multiple wikis (different wiki roots)
    • Checking for broken links, orphans, etc.
    • Adding multimedia content to the wiki (photos, GPS coords, videos, audio, etc.)
    • Anything else...

Finally, the request:
    I am not a programmer or I would love to tackle this myself. Is anyone out there willing to just put together a script that does the simple conversion of all .txt files to .html files of the same name, recursing through the files in a given directory? Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Re: Request: PyS60 + Markdown.py = Portable Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by cyboreal View Post
    [U]First, the background:
    I am not a programmer or I would love to tackle this myself. Is anyone out there willing to just put together a script that does the simple conversion of all .txt files to .html files of the same name, recursing through the files in a given directory? Thanks!
    The problem you described is a general programming problem. This is Python for Series 60 discussion group. I suggest you ask the question again on appropriate forum - like some open source Wiki mailing list.
    Mikko Ohtamaa

http://mfabrik.com
    http://blog.mfabrik.com