Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Publishing FlashLite to Ovi

Hello

I create FlashLite wallpaper and screensavers. I have licenced my content to a distribution company for the past year. If I wanted to go straight to market myself I have to admit to being a complete noob. Will I be able to publish FlashLite content to Ovi in my own right?

I operate under a company name but currently as a Sole Proprietor / Sole Trader not a Limited Company.

I see the thread here: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=158960 but I don't believe this answers my question.

Regards

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Publishing FlashLite to Ovi

hello,

Yes, Ovi Store will support Flash Lite applications for supported S60 and Series 40 devices. For S60 devices Flash Lite apps will need to be packaged as a .SIS file and Symbian Signed. For Series 40 devices Flash Lite apps need to be packaged as .NFL files and won't require any signing. Flash Lite based screensavers and wallpapers are not going to be supported at launch.

If you haven't already signed-up to be a publisher to Ovi make sure you do.

Best,
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]
    Sr. Services Marketing Manager, Forum Nokia
    Publishing to Ovi Store: [url]http://publish.ovi.com/[/url]
    twitter: [url]www.twitter.com/bperry[/url]
    blog: [url]www.mobileperry.com[/url]

Thanks mobileperry

When you say 'Flash Lite based screensavers and wallpapers are not going to be supported at launch.' Does this mean that:
    a. I shouldn't class FlashLite wallpapers and screensavers as apps. Meaning that wallpapers and screensavers will not be supported at launch at all; or
    b. I must make sure that I package them as .sis or .nfl.

Regards

If there is something confusing in my writing please point it out and I will try to restructure my question. Also is it possible to say when Screensavers and Wallpapers will be supported. Many thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by TAIT CREATion View Post
    Thanks mobileperry

When you say 'Flash Lite based screensavers and wallpapers are not going to be supported at launch.' Does this mean that:
    a. I shouldn't class FlashLite wallpapers and screensavers as apps. Meaning that wallpapers and screensavers will not be supported at launch at all; or
    b. I must make sure that I package them as .sis or .nfl.

Regards
    Flash content that will be supported are only applications, meaning SWF files that are packaged as either as a SIS or NFL and are opened using the standalone player on supported devices.

Flash content (SWF files) that can be used for screensavers and wallpapers will not be supported in Ovi Store.

So to answer your question, if your Flash content is a SWF file that's a screensaver or wallpaper then you won't be able to submit it. If it's an application and it's packaged then it can be submitted.

Hope this helps.
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mobileperry View Post
    So to answer your question, if your Flash content is a SWF file that's a screensaver or wallpaper then you won't be able to submit it. If it's an application and it's packaged then it can be submitted.
    Is this true only to start with, or is it intended that it always be this way?

Also, what about other 'content' files, of proprietary format? Do they need to be supplied in a sis file, or can they be sold 'as is' (hopefully allowing us to specify a mime type).

Max.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi David,

1) this is the case for now and unfortunately I can't comment on any future changes.
    2) there are a set list of supported content items and associated file extensions that Ovi Store will support. This list is included in the Ovi Publish Guide that's available to developers once they're registered as a publisher for Ovi.
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]

Hi David,
    2) there are a set list of supported content items and associated file extensions that Ovi Store will support. This list is included in the Ovi Publish Guide that's available to developers once they're registered as a publisher for Ovi.
    So, you have to register and then find out you can't submit your content.

See a problem there?

Perhaps you can make the publishing guide available before registering, so that we can tell whether it's worth the effort of registering - or do some planning or something?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi David,

Let me see what I can do.
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterman View Post
    So, you have to register and then find out you can't submit your content.

See a problem there?

Perhaps you can make the publishing guide available before registering, so that we can tell whether it's worth the effort of registering - or do some planning or something?
    Hi David,

These are the categories Ovi Publish supports: Java, Flash Lite, Symbian, Themes, WRT as well as for select partners Video, Images, Audio.

Depending on the device that supports Ovi Store, the number of categories of content that are supported will vary. If you don't have this bookmarked here's the device specs section on FN.com: http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/matrix_all_1.html

Hopefully this information helps you.

If you want more details about publishing to Ovi then you should sign-up to be a publisher for Ovi. Once you're registered and log into the publishing to Ovi tool you'll be able to download the Ovi Publish Guide along with other documentation such as supported devices. The sign-up process is free and developers are being notified on a daily basis about being able to register as a publisher.
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]

I'm a bit confused at the decision to not support screensavers and wallpapers. If I'm being literal here, can't these just be classed as a type of Flash App - albeit with a very basic and limited functionality. EDIT: I have just understood the implications of the standalone App versus the Flash Screensaver and Wallpaper. I still feel that it is a strange decision not to support the screensavers or wallpapers as this type of content gives alot of creative scope for personalising the phone. Anyway I'm dissapointed, but glad I got the answer before completeing my registration.

Do you know the reason for not supporting Screensavers and Wallpapers? Is it Commercial? or Infrastructure?

And the question that is biggest on my mind now... How do I (and my Third Party) get screensaver/Wallpaper content to peoples Nokia devices?
    Last edited by TAIT CREATion; 2009-04-22 at 23:38. Reason: Understood earlier post

Hopefully this information helps you.
    Not really.

If you want more details about publishing to Ovi then you should sign-up to be a publisher for Ovi. Once you're registered and log into the publishing to Ovi tool you'll be able to download the Ovi Publish Guide along with other documentation such as supported devices. The sign-up process is free and developers are being notified on a daily basis about being able to register as a publisher.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the sign up process is free at all. For a start, you have to become 'a company', which costs a fair bit of money in some countries. Actually, in some countries, I imagine it's next to impossible to do that.

In any case, even if it were 'free', what's the point in having people register only to then find out that they can't publish? Is this policy just there to boost registrations, for marketing purposes, I guess?

Max.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterman View Post
    Not really.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the sign up process is free at all. For a start, you have to become 'a company', which costs a fair bit of money in some countries. Actually, in some countries, I imagine it's next to impossible to do that.

In any case, even if it were 'free', what's the point in having people register only to then find out that they can't publish? Is this policy just there to boost registrations, for marketing purposes, I guess?

Max.
    Your not wrong. The registration fee was 50 Euros as of yesterday, this worked out to be around £44 Sterling. (I put my registration on hold when I found this out. I still intend to register but only if I can get my Screensavers and Wallpapers to market). You also have a point about the company registration/formation - which to be honest isn't huge here in the UK, but the work involved in setting up a company is time consuming (time is money). In the whole I believe in Nokia and their approach and think there will need to be an alternative to Apple. (My negative feelings towards Apple come from the rather homogenising social effect I have observed)

Quote Originally Posted by TAIT CREATion View Post
    You also have a point about the company registration/formation - which to be honest isn't huge here in the UK, but the work involved in setting up a company is time consuming (time is money).
    Well, I used to have a company in the UK (for tax reasons), and at least back then, you needed to have at least one other employee as the company secretary - I used my Dad. I don't seem to recall it costing much, but I had to 'reuse' a company that had previously 'died' in some way.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I got hold of the earlier available Adobe Mobile Packager (the free version). Of late, I viewed a comment posted on a forum, stating that the Ovi Store does not accept .SIS files generated with the Adobe Mobile Packager? Is that correct? I have been creating SIS from the earlier version of this packager (before Adobe removed it), got that SIS open signed offline and am able to use it on my handset. I now aim to send it for the Certified Signed to Symbian for publishing it at the Ovi Store. Should I discontinue whatever I am doing? If yes, how does the packager impact the functioning of the application and also the Ovi store for that matter? Incase Adobe packaged SIS are not accepted, I am unable to set up Kuneri (http://wiki.kunerilite.net/index.php...er's_Guide) and Carbide C++ (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...th_Carbide.c++), what do I do next?
    Last edited by supriyaakg; 2010-03-10 at 06:41. Reason: more info