Discussion Board

Unhappy [moved] Store and retrieve Images

Hello everyone,
    i want to store many images on my Midlet and then retrieve them one after one. There are many example showing how to store an image from a jar file. But i didn't see any example showing how to store efficiently many images from a jar file. Please i'm new in J2ME and i want to learn how to store and retrieve images from a jar file. I need your help and hope i have explain my problem very well .
    I will be very thankful for any kind of suggestion.
    Please help me
    Your fye_08

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Store and retrieve Images

Hi Fye_08,

I've received the email but I'm afraid I'm not able to help you. Just be patient and I'm sure you will receive advice from a Java developer.

However, your use case is a bit strange, I think. How would the 2000 images get to be in that jar and how will the jar get on the phone? That would presumably be quite a huge jar file ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Re: Store and retrieve Images

Hi ltomuta,
    thanks for your prompt response. I think, i can use an external card to extend the memory card. I'm using N95 and i hope that i can find a 32GB card for example to store this huge jar file within. The problem is that, i don't know how to store all those Pictures... I'm still waiting ...
    Thanks very much
    Fye_08

Super Contributor

Re: [moved] Store and retrieve Images

Hi Fye_08,
    can u explain a little wats ur issue? cause for retriving images from jar u just need to create Image using api Image.createImage("/filename"); i believe that u know this already. so explain ur issue a little.
    Prakash

Regular Contributor

Hi Fye_08

I think you want to save image in your mobile from the jar.You should open the file connection like this

FileConnection filecon = (FileConnection)
    Connector.open("file:///+"path");
    //path===>where u want to save the image and by which name mention in path // Then get the file from jar like this

InputStream inputStream=getClass().getResourceAsStream("/*resource address*/");

// use OutputStream class for write the data

OutputStream outputStream=filecon.openOutputStream();

// then write the file by this code
    int i;
    while((i=inputStream.read())!=-1)
    {
    outputStream.write(i);
    }
    outputStream.close();
    filecon.close();

Your Image will be save on your given address and name . Please try to do this type. I hope It will be done by you.

Thanks
    shravan

Unhappy Re: [moved] Store and retrieve Images

Hello everyone,
    thank you very much for your suggestions.
    @Prakash: I already know this api. The problem is that, i have many images to store. I can use createImage() to create one or ten images from the jar. But i don't know how to do this if i have something like thousand images(or a video) to store and retrieve. I know, that it's very ugly to call createImage()several times in the file just to create images. How can i create many images and store them with this api? It's that possible to do that?
    @sharvan1981, i don't want to store my images to a specific path. I want to create images and retrieve them any time i want to do that. I thought that, i can use hashtable to store images into but first of all i have to create this images with createImage() and then store all that with my hashtable. How can i create so many images?
    Please help me. I'm new in j2me.
    Best regards
    Fye_08

Super Contributor

Yes, you can store images in a Hashtable.

But, ultimately, you must call createImage() in order to get an Image object.

You can combine multiple small images into one large on, call createImage() once, then draw portions of it using drawRegion().

Be aware that images take a lot of memory. Between two and four bytes per pixel, much more than the size of the PNG or JPEG file.

Depending on your file naming scheme, you can of course load images like:

PHP Code:
    Image[] images = new Image[IMAGE_COUNT];
    for (
    int i 0IMAGE_COUNTi++) {

images[i] = Image.createImage("picture" ".png");

// if there are many images, you might want some progress to the user

progressPercent = (100) / IMAGE_COUNT;

repaint();

serviceRepaints();

Do you have a specific concern about this?

Cheers,
    Graham.

Super Contributor

U can create as many image using the API thats not a problem, though it will be little slow. but as u talking about thousand images, are u sure all of them can be on heap and u wont get OutOfMemory? wat kind of size u talking about?
    Prakash

Unhappy Re: [moved] Store and retrieve Images

Hi Graham,
    thank you for your reply. I understand what you want me to do. But i'm confused. All my images are saved somewhere inside my computer and i want to load each image to a jar file. I store a folder inside my Netbeans's project containing my images and i want to load each image one by one without using an array. To hold one image on this folder is possible, the second one ist also possible if i just have two or three images inside this folder. I don't want anytime to write createImage()in order to hold each image and it's also cumbersome to do like that. What do you think about it? I'm looking for a mechanism, that can help to load images inside my folder. How can i do that please? Can you please give me the j2me version of your php code? .
    Best regards
    Fye_08

Super Contributor

That is J2ME code... I use the "PHP" tags because it colours the code nicely.

You can store as many images in a JAR as you want. There is no limit. A JAR file is really just a ZIP file.

What you cannot do, is get a list of files in the JAR, from J2ME.

You could create a text file, containing a list of the images, and put the text file in the JAR. Then you can read the text file, and create the images.

Does this make sense?

Hey,
    Your suggestion is interesting. I will write the code now and let you know the issues. But if you have any other suggestions or code snippet, please let me know.
    Thank you all again ...
    Best regards
    Fye_08