Discussion Board

Thread: LBS Module

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up LBS Module

Hi All,
    I wrote code which gives number of LBS modules present in device.I got when I tested it on emualtor it given me

Number of modules : 1
    with UID : 0x101F7A81

on device it given Number of modules : 2 with UID.I tested it in NOKIA N73.
    As N95 has A-GPS hardware ,do it consider as module.I want to know UID of it..or any other API which say directly phone supports A-GPS or not.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: LBS Module

User RPositionServer's GetModuleInfoBy* methods to retrieve information about discovered modules, such as technology used or module's name (see TPositionModuleInfo).

Btw, there's no such thing as an A-GPS hardware.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: LBS Module

Thanks for reply...
    I am using the same Apis to get module information.Is any direct Api which says A-GPS supported on device or not, like we can know number of cameras available on phone.

Regular Contributor

Hi All,
    I Used Location Apis and checked for different modules.For u information just updating this.

on emulator : No. Of Modules = 1,UID = 0x101F7A81

On N73 Device it has applications simualtionPSY and simPsyconfiguration.
    No. of Modules = 2,UID = 0X101FE999,UID = 0X101F7A81

To know whether device supports A-GPS or not..check with follwoing UID.
    If it present it gives No. of Modules = 1,UID = 0x101FE98A.

You can use the hardcoded UID or hardcoded name but if you want to be futureproof you should rather use PSY's technology and capabilities as reference. This way it does not matter what the name or UIDs, what mater is how fast and how acurate it can give you the position.

N73 does no have internal GPS and therefore does not have A-GPS either. Whatever UIDs you identify on that device they are not belonging to the AGPS PSY.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

thats ok,But the thing how to know does device supports A-GPS or not until I get some UID of it..and like N73 it has simulation PSY can be used when some external GPS support u have.
    I used that thing to know device supports A-GPS or not..or else I will be using Cell-Id

You find out if a device supports A-GPS by scanning for modules which use Assisted technology and have Satellite capability. Assisted + Satellite (GPS) = A-GPS. There is no better/faster way to know if A-GPS is available and quite francky you don't need one.

So, connect to the positionign server, enumerate the available modules, identify which one is best to use and once you know that create a positioner session - or don't, and uses CellID ...

Symulation PSY is a test tool, it can be used during application development to "simulate" an internal GPS receiver but on production code it should be ignored even if available on device.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

ok.Fine Thanks