Discussion Board

[moved] suggestion for Map for LBS project

Hello everybody,
    I have a LBS project on mobile. im using J2ME and i want to use a static map. Now i am waiting for your suggestions for choosing map. which map i should prefer? Google, yahoo or others? and please explain why?
    Thanks for your attention,

Talking Re: [moved] suggestion for Map for LBS project

Quote Originally Posted by griim67 View Post
    I have a LBS project on mobile. im using J2ME and i want to use a static map. Now i am waiting for your suggestions for choosing map. which map i should prefer? Google, yahoo or others? and please explain why?
    The first statement to make is that any solution you choose will have a cost. There is no free map service for mobile devices.

I'm plainly biased but I would choose either Yahoo, MapTP Web services or deCarta.

There are a number of reasons for this

* All three of Yahoo, MapTP and deCarta use NAVTEQ maps, although Yahoo's maps in some regions are a little old. NAVTEQ is a US$1 billion company with nearly 4000 employees. We have been collecting map data for over 25 years and have more than 200 patents associated with data collection. We employ over 1000 people whose job is simply to drive the roads and walk the streets each day and check the data. NAVTEQ also employ another 1000 people just simply to keep up with the data generated and update the database. We consistently have developers who started with Google or another map provider coming to us because of the quality of our data.

* NAVTEQ is a one stop shop for different kinds of data, not just maps, although your access to the data can vary depending on which of the toolsets (Yahoo, MapTP, deCarta) you choose. What kind of data? Well, for example, both real time and historical traffic data, satellite imagery, 3D landmark images, POIs (in the millions), and lots more. The pedestrian information contains data such as public transport routes, timetables and stops, crosswalks, stairs/ramps/escalators/elevators, etc - although some of this data is only available for major cities (e.g. London, Barcelona, New York, etc).

* NAVTEQ and our partners can provide services to you at a high level (i.e. by providing a Web services interface to hosted functionality), at a medium level (i.e. by providing server software that you can run in your own premises), or at a low-level by giving you access to the raw data which you can then upload into your own tools, use third-party tools such as ESRI, or functionality in a Spatial Database such as Oracle or SQL Server.

* NAVTEQ can help you monetise your application in a number of ways. A lot of developers for example are interested in an advertising funded model and NAVTEQ can help you achieve that by aggregating advertising across millions of devices.

* We have the largest LBS-specific developer community in the world, NAVTEQ Network for Developers. With free sample data, access to tools, free developer support, technical whitepapers, webinars and developer days.

* Because NAVTEQ has been in the industry for such a long time, we have connections with a great many organisations. NN4D is not just about developer support, but business support as well. you might be looking to raise venture capital, information on how to work with a mobile operator or just simply press coverage, NN4D is best placed to know the right people for you to achieve your goals. We actively support our customers.

Well OK... I could go on ... but this post is long enough as it is!

Feel free to check out NN4D at http://NN4D.com and if you need any further details don't hesitate to email me at michael.moore@navteq.com

- Mike
    NAVTEQ Network for Developers
    http://NN4D.com