Discussion Board

Using GPRS in Mobile Device

Up until now, I've done all my MIDLET's testing via emulator. So far, the HTTP Connections work because I've always had internet in my laptop. But now, since I'm supposed to test it in the actual decide itself, I dont have a clue on how to connect to the internet. I've heard that GPRS is the best solution so far, but I dont know how to actually establish it on the device. The model I have is the Nokia 6212. Any tutorial or instruction for this procedure is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Using GPRS in Mobile Device

GPRS or a packet data connection is how things are done.

You can do it over a WAP access point (APN, Access Point Name) connection or an Internet access point. If you use a WAP APN, the traffic will go through the network operator's (carrier's) WAP gateway. An Internet APN will not go through a WAP gateway (and also has less restrictions as operators often for WAP traffic also transcode content - e.g., images - or restrict access to some domains/addresses/ports).

When you get a phone from a network operator, the required settings are usually predefined at the factory.

Current phone models also, if there are no settings at all, will at first boot request the settings from the network automatically (the network has to support that feature).

Some network operators, when they detect a new phone/SIM on the network, they automatically send the settings as a configuration message (SMS) which the user can then open and save in the phone settings.

Some phone models also have in the phone menu a "Settings Wizard" application which you can run and it will configure the settings.

Many network operators also have a support web site, where you can go and have the web site then send the configuration SMS to your phone (number).

You can always also call the network operator's customer support, and ask them to send the settings.

And many operators also have an SMS service, where you SMS a keyword to them, and then in the response SMS you get the settings. If that's the case, the info is probably also on the operator's web site.

Nokia has also on the support pages on many countries/regions had a service for sending the settings for different operators: http://www.nokia.com/support

Note that the subscription/plan (and associated SIM) card - your contract with the operator - must include/allow data access (and operators of course have many kinds of plans/contracts with different terms and prices for data access). If you're unsure of what you have, call your operator's customer service.

I've checked out the customer service website of my network operator(Globe). However, in their list of phones which they provide with GPRS services, the Nokia 6212 model is not included. So does that mean I can never use GPRS from my network operator? If so, are there any other possible ways for me to acquire the necessary GPRS settings?

Super Contributor

Order/get the settings for any Nokia model; the settings are all the same, and if the settings are sent as configuration messages (SMS) to your phone, they're still all the same.

I see. Then I guess any model's settings should also work for my case. Thanks!

Did it work?

Regular Contributor

You can find the GPRS settings for some operators on internet too. search it and create the access point manually. In most cases it works.