Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Is Forum Nokia really employing people like this?

Please take a look at this thread:
    http://www.newlc.com/en/forum/adobe-...opers-innovate

Note the reactions... Specially the reply by Numpty Alert.

Its not the first time this happens, and it happens on several forums.

Is really Forum Nokia using this stupid tactic to spread its word?

I think its a really really bad idea, which will backfire on you if you really are doing this.

So.. are you? if so... please stop insulting us..

I'll paste Numpty's reply here too because its so important:
    Its not the first time information like this has been disseminated on boards via a user who joins, posts once, saying something like "I just found this great news ..." then disappears never to post again.

With yourself you also have posted the same message here:
    http://www.coderanch.com/t/432727/Mo...-together-help

Oh, you've also posted it here
    http://forums.oreilly.com/user/2379/dawsonhill/

Oh, and here
    http://mobiforge.com/forum/developin...velopers-innov

Oh, and here
    http://bytes.com/search.php?searchid=202672

Oh, and here
    http://www.symbian-guru.com/forum/se...searchid=11383

Oh, and here
    http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...archid=5170630

and so on .... and so on ....

Funnily enough, you also just joined all these multitude of forums, just a few seconds before posting.

If you are an employee of Nokia/Adobe, do you think developers are ****ing stupid or what? When this sort of things happens several times you think nobody notices? The exact people you want to spread the information to are the ones who's intelligence you are insulting. It would be better to state the poster is from such and such a company and say the posting is bringing attention to whatever it is, be honest, nobody would mind that. Rather than pretend to be a developer who stumbled accross some information and is spreading it for goodwill and the benefit of "fellow" developers. This appraoch insults the intelligence of the very people you are trying to reach with the information and consequencly pisses them off and portrays your company in a very poor light.

Why not have the honesty and dignity and professionalism to own up. To remain silent is to condem yourself and your company and to tacitly admit to these tactics. Should I post this reply to every thread you've spread throughout the internet? How many people will read it. Is that the sort of PR you were hoping for?

P.S.
    Did you remember to post all these postings using an IP hiding website/tool so your location/company/identity can't be traced?

If you are a developer and have suddenly decided to spread what you think is useful information then thankyou, and apologies for any cynical attitude. Welcome to the forum and tell us a little about yourself so we can welcome you.
    And also this final word:
    And just to clarify: The problem is not trying to market things by posting links in forums. The problem is lying about your intentions while doing it. It's the lying that ticks me off, nothing else.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Is Forum Nokia really employing people like this?

I wouldn't think that would be any internal guy, at least I have never heard anybody that we would accept such a useless tacktics, I would assume it is somebody who just got a bit too exited about the thing, and wanted to share it to whole world...

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    I wouldn't think that would be any internal guy, at least I have never heard anybody that we would accept such a useless tacktics, I would assume it is somebody who just got a bit too exited about the thing, and wanted to share it to whole world...
    It happens a bit too often, and with a bit too well-put-together standard templates for it to just be some random guy...
    Its also interesting to note the contrast between the first cut-and-paste template and the second reply...

Might not be someone within Forum Nokia, but could be an external marketing firm. If so, Forum Nokia should terminate any relations with that company, and find another with good morals.

Nokia Developer Expert

hmmm, I still do not think it has anything to do with any nokia employee or contractor to be honest , I really don't think we would be needing that sort of marketing, nor would I think that we would actually pay for that sort of thing, so just relax, and ignore people who are not bahaving as you would expect..

Regular Contributor

I'm also very surprised, since it goes against all my other experience with Nokia. (which is quite extensive)

That's why I wanted to write this thread, partly to ask if this is an official strategy (which I have never really thought it is) or if not, I wanted to raise this issue with you guys here at Forum Nokia.

Maybe some of your partners are doing this without your knowledge.

I like Nokia, and I would hate if their image is tainted by stupid people like this.

As I said, its highly unlikely this is just some "random guy", it happens too often and too structured.
    This is just the latest example.

When nokia had some big application contest recently, messages like this popped up a couple per week, by different people but looking almost identical..
    It has to be organized somehow by someone, and that someone needs to be told to stop by the people being hurt by it.

And thats Nokia...

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

There is a type of marketing called viral marketing where firms will post messages on discussion boards and other sites to get the word out. And I agree that this does appear on the face of it to be an example of this type of Marketing. However viral marketing is not normally considered spam or unethical. Spam is repeated messages, off topic and generally useless or meant to create FUD (fear uncerntainty and doubt)

Was this viral marketing? Amost certainly. Was it done by Nokia? probably not directly but probably by the people that Adobe and Nokia hired to market the project.

I totally agree with if they got caught and lied they handled it very badly.

By the way I put it on the Wiki news and forum announcements. I think it is an exceptional opportunity for small developers.

Ron

Super Contributor

I have to say that Nokia's folks in general are exceptionally friendly and helpful; especially their on-contract stuff. Of course, I always have to think about the Forum Nokia champion who always goes batshit whenever he sees me (won't name him here)...but in the end, we're all humans and the folks at Nokia's really are nice.

As for blog spamming: probably was the action of a single individual (if it even was inside the company).
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog