Discussion Board

how to capture UMTS/GPRS data packets???

Hi,
    can anybody help me? I need only an idea..
    I have to write a sniffer for UMTS/GPRS data packets, but i need an idea to start,
    maybe i can use sockets, pipe, fifo, Notify class?
    Please help me!!

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: how to capture UMTS/GPRS data packets???

At the Symbian level in a user-mode application you will not be able to get to it. The cellular stack (software) might even run on an entirely different cellular baseband processor than the application processor that runs Symbian.

In a single-CPU device it is the same processor, but still separate telephony software stack.

And you can't write your own device driver and install it on a Symbian device, either (even if a kernel mode device driver was able to get to the data). The phone firmware would have to be prepared to accept your device drivers (have it at the factory, or even a stub driver that allows you to install your driver).

So, in all practical respects, you won't be able to write a Symbian UMTS/GPRS traffic sniffer.

At the Symbian level you can look into TCP/IP (UDP) level traffic (search for "IPHook" for information).

Hi petrib,

I would like to correct your statement:

"And you can't write your own device driver and install it on a Symbian device, either (even if a kernel mode device driver was able to get to the data). The phone firmware would have to be prepared to accept your device drivers (have it at the factory, or even a stub driver that allows you to install your driver)."

This is not entirely true and suggests that it is not possible to add device drivers once a device has been brought to market. It implies device drivers always need to be integrated in the firmware of the device.

To write a device driver you will need a Symbian DevKit or source code license. Further you need ALL capabilities (Tcb, AllFiles, DRM, etc) in your developer certificate. Once you have these pre-requisites in place you can write a device driver and install it on a retail device (say N95). At Inmote we succesfully managed to do this a month ago or so.

Being able to write and install a device driver does not mean you can easily distribute it into mass market. The application including device driver will have to go through very strict signing requirement before you can deploy it to the general public and start selling your application.

At Inmote we also succesfully implemented an IPTrace tool (based on IpHook) to monitor incoming/outgoing IP traffic. The trace is Ethereal compatible such that you can analyse the traffic on your PC.

BR,

Rene Heuven
    Rene Heuven
    Inmote - Creative Smartphone Solutions
    Web: www.inmote.com
    E-mail: rene@inmote.com

Thanks for your replies!!!
    I don't like your answers, but it's the truth!
    So, I have become a symbian partner, but using few words, how can i do it? Is it simple and quick?
    furthermore, heuven, can i see your code about the IPTrace tool?

Thanks!!

Hi tulimiero,

Symbian has been acquired by Nokia. Nokia will put the operating system in open source. A new organisation called "The Symbian Foundation" has been established for this purpose. See

http://www.symbianfoundation.org/registration.php

for details on how to become a member of the Symbian Foundation. The Symbian Foundation will make the Symbian OS available as open source first to its members during 2009 and to the general public during 2010.

Due to the Symbian Foundation I do not think Symbian is accepting any new partners currently. What you need is access to the BAKs (I am actually not 100% if you can do development using IpHook with only a BAK - or if there is a need for a DevKit) in the SDN++ area.

We invested a substantial amount of time in creating IPTrace. Therefore we cannot make the source code available. Sorry about that. "IPHook" would indeed be the correct search term.

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven

Another question:
    Is it possible to create an HTTP sniffer using common API?

Thanks in advance

Super Contributor

"IPHook" is still the answer, but search also for "HTTP filter": http://developer.symbian.com/main/index.jsp

Sorry, but i don't understand a particular:
    IPHook is a library for Symbian OS v7.0 and above( read in http://www3.symbian.com/faq.nsf/0/03...B?OpenDocument ), is it a no-public API from 3rd ed and above? In this way, can i use it on a 2nd ed? Or it's not available even in the common libraries of 2nd ed.?

Thanks and Sorry for my english!!

Hi tulimiero,

IPHook is not a public API for S60 3rd and also not public for S60 2nd. For non-public APIs you will not find the required headers files and LIB files in the public SDKs. You will need to find these non public APIs from a Binary Access Kit (BAK) or from a DevKit. The APIs are marked with @publishedPartner.

With S60 2nd you have a little advantage as it does not yet have Platform Security. So for a 3rd party developer with no access to BAKs or DevKit it might be easier to hack/reserve engineer a solution on S60 2nd Edition. However, you will be able to find out that you need no manufacturer capabilities (Tcb, AllFiles or Drm) to implement a PRT module. Therefore you could as well start using a normal developer certificate and develop for S60 3rd Edition as target platform. Start with developing for the emulator (it gives you more debugging possibilities).

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven

Thanks a lot!!

Hi all. This topic was being for me and I have questions.
    What is necessary for to use the partner API.? It´s free of charge?
    It´s possible to get headers IP,TCP,UDP,etc using public API?

Sorry my bad english!

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tiagotele View Post
    Hi all. This topic was being for me and I have questions.
    What is necessary for to use the partner API.? It´s free of charge?
    It´s possible to get headers IP,TCP,UDP,etc using public API?

Sorry my bad english!
    partner API is bak or devkit, and it need charge now.
    and there is no way use public api.
    ----------------------------
    坚持学习, 坚持编码
    http://www.devdiv.net/
    qxiaoyuan