Discussion Board

Red face How to protect your code?

Hello all,

I apologize for the newbie question

How do you protect your widget codes? As I could just rename the widget package back to a zip file and take a peek at your source files.

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: How to protect your code?

You don't. You don't do it for web pages, either (WRT widgets are HTML, JavaScript, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    You don't. You don't do it for web pages, either (WRT widgets are HTML, JavaScript, etc.).
    Yes you are right, I'm only worried about plagiarism. I guess there's no stopping someone from copying your website as well, it's the same thing. I'm only asking this because I'm thinking of publishing a few widgets for the Ovi Store, but I guess the nature of widgets should always be freeware or adware? If it's an adware, there's no stopping someone from altering the code to remove the ad banner placements :P

Super Contributor

Indeed, there is no stopping anyone from copying your website, and if the WRT widget .wgz file is downloadable from any web site, it can also be captured and since it is just a zip file in disguise, it can also be unzipped. And depending on the phone model and where on the phone it is installed, the .wgz file can be also retrieved/extracted from the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Indeed, there is no stopping anyone from copying your website, and if the WRT widget .wgz file is downloadable from any web site, it can also be captured and since it is just a zip file in disguise, it can also be unzipped. And depending on the phone model and where on the phone it is installed, the .wgz file can be also retrieved/extracted from the phone.
    I was wondering if Nokia will have a feature available where there will be a hidden folder for all apps downloaded from the Ovi Store? That way, users will not be able to alter the files ... just something Google has done for the Android market. At least that way, we could safeguard our codes ... well, not completely, but at least it's a bit more troublesome

Nokia Developer Moderator

They are in n"hidden" folder already, basically inside some private folder, where there is normally no access, though with right capabilities, the access is of course granted.

All and all, you could do a symbian application with Browser control, and then open the "widget" as a buffer, thus you could indeed do full encryption fo the main html at least, and just decryrt it before opening it. Haven't actually tried this, but in theory, it should work.

You should be able to do so with OMA DRM.
    Check this:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...th_OMA_DRM_1.0

Hi,

at least for JavaScript (where most functionality lies anyway) you can use some minifier or obfuscator. This way it will be at least very hard Try to look via Google, there are lots of them out.