Discussion Board

Limitation/Difference between standlone flashlite app & Webpage embedded flashlite ap

Hi All,
    I am new to flashlite development.
    I had gone through the getting started section in forum nokia site.there they had mentioned like flashlite has three types of app. and uses diff runtime environment to render it for ex. standlone by flashplayer installed on mobile and web page embedded with falshlite uses flashlite pluguin comes with browsers.

So if i create a application in flashlite, Is there any difference in creating the app for standalone or web page???
    Is there any library restriction if i run it as standlone or webpage embedded??

Thanks in Advance!!!

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Limitation/Difference between standlone flashlite app & Webpage embedded flashlit

Quote Originally Posted by msathiskumar View Post
    Hi All,
    I am new to flashlite development.
    I had gone through the getting started section in forum nokia site.there they had mentioned like flashlite has three types of app. and uses diff runtime environment to render it for ex. standlone by flashplayer installed on mobile and web page embedded with falshlite uses flashlite pluguin comes with browsers.

So if i create a application in flashlite, Is there any difference in creating the app for standalone or web page???
    Is there any library restriction if i run it as standlone or webpage embedded??

Thanks in Advance!!!
    It totally depends upon what kind of application u r going to develop. For example u r making a game, screen saver etc then it is good to make it standalone and if u r making a animation video , some sort of internet stuff then it is good to embedded it into the webpage.But if we talk about limitations then there is a security box that if u use NETWORK then u cannot use LOCAL i.e u cant dial a number etc etc. Moreover, i think u cant use soft keys in flash lite embedded in a webpage and if u need more beneficial replies then let us know what kind of application u look to develop..Hope it help u..

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Re: Limitation/Difference between standlone flashlite app & Webpage embedded flashlit

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.

I want to develop a app which is going to do some webservices call or just contact a web proxy to get soem data and also need to track some key inputs.

suppose if i develop this application as standalone app and got a swf file out of it.As u said i will be able to track key states since its a standlone.

If i open the same swf in a browser whether i will be able to get key states or not??
    Is it like while creating an application itself i have to say its a standalone or webpage embedded so that libraries r enable & disabled acc.
    OR a created flash app will run on standaloen player or browser pluginin with some limitation.Fi so where i can get the limitations on browser & standlone end????

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Limitation/Difference between standlone flashlite app & Webpage embedded flashlit

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.

I want to develop a app which is going to do some webservices call or just contact a web proxy to get soem data and also need to track some key inputs.

suppose if i develop this application as standalone app and got a swf file out of it.As u said i will be able to track key states since its a standlone.

If i open the same swf in a browser whether i will be able to get key states or not??
    Is it like while creating an application itself i have to say its a standalone or webpage embedded so that libraries r enable & disabled acc.
    OR a created flash app will run on standaloen player or browser pluginin with some limitation.Fi so where i can get the limitations on browser & standlone end????
    Firstly, u can detect keypresses of all keys except soft keys and red, green, multimedia key in ur flash embedded into a wen page and easily take input from the user by using input text. Secondly, embedded flash into a web page , increases billing of gprs as compared to flash lite standalone because each time user enter into ur webpage, the flash lite is first downloaded and then played. thus , my vote is for standalone And there are many solutions to package ur standalone contents into a sis file and provide user an easy to install setup. .Hope it helps u..

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Re: Limitation/Difference between standlone flashlite app & Webpage embedded flashlit

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply,

Regarding the key states its clear now,Whether i bundle the swf as standlone or opening the swf on a embedded page its going to work fine.

If i access some local mobile resources such as contact,or any mobile resource which is possible in flashlite.Will it work on both standalone & swf embedded on a web page OR is there going to be some limitations when i open the swf on a browser.

Because on some phone models they say they dont have standalone players/support instead each time i open a swf file its going to launch the native browser to render it.thats y want to know the limitation on both standalone & browser based either embedded in webpage or if i open it on a browser.

Regards,
    Sathis.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply,

Regarding the key states its clear now,Whether i bundle the swf as standlone or opening the swf on a embedded page its going to work fine.

If i access some local mobile resources such as contact,or any mobile resource which is possible in flashlite.Will it work on both standalone & swf embedded on a web page OR is there going to be some limitations when i open the swf on a browser.

Because on some phone models they say they dont have standalone players/support instead each time i open a swf file its going to launch the native browser to render it.thats y want to know the limitation on both standalone & browser based either embedded in webpage or if i open it on a browser.

Regards,
    Sathis.
    Firstly, u cant do much things locally in PURE flash like writing to a file, reading contacts etc etc except NOKIA 5TH EDITION PHONES(i think there are only 2 such phones, not sure at all) .So , u cant use any advance local feature in previous and non nokia phones . Ofcourse, u can extend flash lite with symbain c++ , python etc for previous nokia phones but this extending procedure works with standalone flash lite appz only. Moreover, u cant do local operation with an app using network operations in web embedded flash (i told u this point before).You may solve this problem by using flash lite 3.1 which is supported in some of the Nokia phones. Take a look here :
    Flash Lite 3.1
    Secondly, i dont know any nokia phone which doesnt have installed flash lite player and can render flash lite appz embedded in web pages. can u name such nokia phones ?? .. Hope it helps u...

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Closely related to the discussion in this thread - can someone advice what is the difference between the various content type? I googled and searched in the Adobe documentation - but I don't have any leads.

Any information provided would be helpful.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Sachin_Athreya View Post
    Closely related to the discussion in this thread - can someone advice what is the difference between the various content type? I googled and searched in the Adobe documentation - but I don't have any leads.

Any information provided would be helpful.
    Welcome to Flash Lite Dibo . There are not too many types of flash contents . The types of Flash Lite are as follow :
    1 - Standalone (The one which runs in flash lite player as a standalone swf)
    2 - Not-Standalone (The one which runs under the reference of Widgets or web pages )
    And the difference between these two is not that much but totally depends upon ur application type .If u want to make a game than it is good to make it standalone .If u want to do network tasks like a website then it is good to make it via widgets . Hope it helps u.
    Moreover, i recommend to go through this link for a quick start:
    Quick Start FLash Lite

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft