Discussion Board

Change Lock code and Phone AutoLock Period

Hello,
    Are there any api's that could help me chage the lock code of an S60 3rd Edition phone. I want to change the lock code and autolock period through my application.
    I came accross ETELMM.h when i was looking for the same. It seems that I need to be a previlidged partner for the use of ETELMM. However while looking through the defination of ETELMM.h (http://www3.symbian.com/faq.nsf/0/4eabad2cfb23709d80256de20060ba30/$FILE/etelmm.h) I could not figure out which Api's would help me achieve what i want to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Change Lock code and Phone AutoLock Period

For N-Series devices, you could also change teh code with AT commands, with E-Series, I'm not aware of any API that could be used for changing the code.

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply. But could you please explain how AT commands could be used for N series devices ?
    It would be great even if you direct me to where i could get the reference. And I also have been trying my application on a E Series device. Anyone with any help regarding the same for E Series ?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by anupamvm
    But could you please explain how AT commands could be used for N series devices ?
    See in Wiki:
    - AT Commands
    - How to send AT Commands + example application source codes

Thanks a lot for the links. I did understand how AT commands would work. But cant figure out any command to change the lock code or phone autolock period. Also I really need this functionality even on E series devices. Any help ?

AFAIK, there is no solution available for 3rd party developers for E-Series devices. The password is handled differently inside the terminal security classes, and so far I have not found a way on handling it from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by anupamvm View Post
    ... It seems that I need to be a previlidged partner for the use of ETELMM. However while looking through the defination of ETELMM.h (http://www3.symbian.com/faq.nsf/0/4eabad2cfb23709d80256de20060ba30/$FILE/etelmm.h) I could not figure out which Api's would help me achieve what i want to. ...
    Since you have yo be a "privileged partner" to get access to the API you can't really expect that Symbian/Nokia would publish the full content of the API on the web ... The file you're indicating has some interesting comments in it:
    // cut-down version of this class for compilation consistency
    If you have a valid use case seek access to the API through the API Partnering process.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    If you have a valid use case seek access to the API through the API Partnering process.
    Hi Chief, unless you know more on the topic than I do, I wouldn't promise anything on E-Series, have to admit that I have not had a deep look into the issue for couple of months, and could be that I'm forgotting something, but as my memory goes at the moment, I can not remember any non-public API that could work with the device lock password settings with E-Series devices.

Me is not promissing anything The API Partnering mandates a tech support case first, through which the issue is investigated for the targeted device(s) and it is then decided what is needed and how the problem is to be solved (or not).

The only thing that is new in the last months is that now Nokia owns Symbian's assets and thus we can grant access to Symbian owned APIs too. Therefore, what used to be impossible at S60 only level could be now accessible ... eventually.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite