Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Can't we really avoid beep during call recording?

Hi,

I've tested call recording example on Nokia 6670.
    As said by everyone there was beep for every few seconds.
    The beep was not annoying but a low frequency beep.
    I mean we won't here it unless we concentrate on it.

Is there any class/method/utility that could remove/hide/minimize the volume(atleast)?

Super Contributor

Re: Can't we really avoid beep during call recording?

No documented/published ways to do it in any released documentation. I think at least one (commercial call recorder) application developer has managed to do/hack it on some S60/Symbian versions, but they've not published how and what they figured out).

As I understand it you shouldn't be able to remove that beep because informing the third party that they are being recorded is a legal requirement in some countries.

Mark

Regular Contributor

ok
    thanks for ur reply

Super Contributor

Hi,
    very important advice in here: call recording can very well be illegal under some jurisdictions!!!!!

DISPLAY A DISCLAIMER when starting the app for the first time, statimnmg that you claim no responsibilities and that the app is only for legal use.

IANAL though, so for the exact wording, go to a lawyer of your choice!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Yes we've all been through the "illegal in some countries" speech. I say keep the damn beep configured as "default on" on product codes for countries that forbid it and LET THE USER DECIDE if he wants to disable it or not, so it's the USER's responsibility, not Nokia's. What, now Nokia wants to be a worldwide law enforcement agency too? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wdeny View Post
    Yes we've all been through the "illegal in some countries" speech. I say keep the damn beep configured as "default on" on product codes for countries that forbid it and LET THE USER DECIDE if he wants to disable it or not, so it's the USER's responsibility, not Nokia's. What, now Nokia wants to be a worldwide law enforcement agency too? Doesn't make any sense to me.
    Besides that recording the talk without notifying the other party is considered an ethically questionable act everywhere, you can bet that the mandatory beep is not an invention of Nokia. Certain countries would ban any manufacturer if such settings could be changed. And in fact they are not necessarily dictatorships.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Besides that recording the talk without notifying the other party is considered an ethically questionable act everywhere, you can bet that the mandatory beep is not an invention of Nokia. Certain countries would ban any manufacturer if such settings could be changed. And in fact they are not necessarily dictatorships.
    Maybe it's just me that fail to see the evil in recording all my conversations. To me it's as simple as not having to take notes during phone calls, not forgetting important stuff from when I call a customer support service (by the way all such services in Brazil DO record ALL customers' calls). So what's unethical about that?

Maybe there are people out there with sordid agendas and intentions, but I can't really even begin to imagine what those might be because I am not one of those persons.

And what's the result of all this hipocrisy? The result is as long as there's a market for a product, be it difficult as it may, that product will likely be delivered somehow. There ARE a few products out there like PhonePilot and Total Recall which managed to feature phone recording without beeps, but at what price? They had to spend countless hours of development to come up with a crippled solution that is sometimes heavy on CPU usage and always cuts off parts of the recording. But hey, NO BEEP.

So in short, the feature CAN be disabled, and no matter what Nokia does it always will, because it's obvious for anyone with more than 30 IQ points that with 8GB or more of memory space available it has become absolutely painless to record every single call we make or receive. And guess what? The daily increasing number of people who come to realize this HATE THE DAMN BEEP! So Nokia could as well do the world a favor and make it so that it would be UNOFFICIALLY possible to disable it and yet have lossless phone call recordings.

In fact I have no doubt that in a while this will happen, just don't see the point in making it so hard at the expense of their customers.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

This is a topic for the Nokia products and has nothing to do with Developing for Devices. I've closed this thread.

Ron