Discussion Board

Newbie - Which language?

Hi

Just wondering which language you guys would recommend for developing simple GUI apps in S60.3rd.

I've spent the last 2 days slogging away at learning Python (PC version) and feel I have a slippery grip on it. However, I'm finding it very difficult to transfer this over to the S60 due to a lack of tutorial material available for the S60 version. The only documents I can seem to find go from '1+2' to 'building the space shuttle' with not a lot in between.

Was thinking of switching my efforts to Java, purely because there seems to be a lot more educational material available, but just thought I'd ask you guys for recommendations first.

Cheers

Super Contributor

Re: Newbie - Which language?

Hi,

Well, I personally find Python the easiest language to learn and use. If you already know standard Python it shouldn't be too hard to adapt it to PyS60. For me these examples were the most useful source of information, because they're short, simple and do exactly what their name says they do. Of course there is also the Python Wiki, which contains both very simple and very complex examples. And sites such as http://www.croozeus.com.

As for Java, you're right. There is more learning material available, partly because it's been around a lot longer that PyS60. But I tend to recommend Python if you're a beginner because that way you learn some basic notions that will proove useful if you want to learn Java or other mobile programming languages later. That's how it was for me, anyway

Hope that helped. Best of luck choosing the best language

Thanks. I've only had a quick look but those links look like exactly what I need

As far as choosing the best language:
    I think I've learned 5 or 6 languages over the last 20 years (only at an amateur level), so what I was hoping for was not the 'best' language to learn, but maybe the 'last' language to learn, if you know what I mean

Super Contributor

Now a day C++ is like a basic language of computer programming and every one know it. so why cant u try Symbian OS C++??.