Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question App Releasing Doubts

Hi All,

We developed a small app with its 0.1 version.

We need the public to download it from our server and use them

Please anyone clarify my doubts

1. I heard we need to pay $20 for each submission of signing...

So have all those developers who ve released their Applications pay $200 for PublisherID pay $20 for each version of app submission in signing...?

2. If once the build is signed ... Can we Take multiple copies of the same build so that multiple users can use it ?

3. Is the cost expenditure a must? ... Since i use ReadDeviceData capability i think the self signing option is ruled out .. Am i right?

4. Is there any way of releasing the application free of cost as in case of java applications?

5. Please advice me in this Issue ... I ve studied various links .. all say that we need to get the PublisherID and so on... Why does a free edition of App needs such costs...?

Any Suggestions ? Puzzled

Re: App Releasing Doubts

hi,

1) I heard we need to pay $20 for each submission of signing...

So have all those developers who ve released their Applications pay $200 for PublisherID pay $20 for each version of app submission in signing...?

yes, this is the cost for testing and signing the application. The amount also depends upon the test house.

2) If once the build is signed ... Can we Take multiple copies of the same build so that multiple users can use it ?

A signed application can be installed on any number of devices. It is tested and signed so no limitations.

3. Is the cost expenditure a must? ... Since i use ReadDeviceData capability i think the self signing option is ruled out .. Am i right?
    Yes if you are using that capability then you have to sign the application.

4. Is there any way of releasing the application free of cost as in case of java applications?

Unfortunately there is currently no Freeware signing process. If your application uses only basic capabilities then you can self sign it. But this is not your case as you are using Extended capabilities and hence will require signing.

5. Please advice me in this Issue ... I ve studied various links .. all say that we need to get the PublisherID and so on... Why does a free edition of App needs such costs...?

This is to protect the users interest and to avoid any malicious software causing harm to the user.

Nokia Developer Moderator

A few clarifications:

Quote Originally Posted by Vignesh.M View Post

1. I heard we need to pay $20 for each submission of signing...

The $20 fee applies only for Express Signed.
    If the application requires certification then you will have to pay for it to pass thorugh this process. Once the application is certified you are of course free to release it as freeware.

Any Suggestions ? Puzzled
    This is because the Symbian ecosystem (device manufacturers, operators, consumers) want to have robust and reliable applications on their devices/networks.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Question Re: App Releasing Doubts

Hi LTomuta

As u mentioned

The $20 fee applies only for Express Signed.
    Is the charge not there in Certified Signed?

Is $200 for publisherID - the only charge in the CertifiedSigned?

-
    Thanks
    Vignesh.M

Nokia Developer Moderator

For Certified Signed you pay the testing house fees which are significantly higher.

Please see the blog post link given to you earlier, it has cost indications too for the signing options.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Also see the information about Test houses and their fees here: http://developer.symbian.com/wiki/di...ed+Test+Houses
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team