Discussion Board

Exclamation Problems with Qt 4.5 Garden

Hi,

I installed the new Qt on my desktop and on my phones. I found some problems with Qt 4.5 Garden. I recompile all my application and I also try the fluid lancer demo

on E51
    - the auto theme system have some problems, some elements are black (for example in QCalendarWidget), and things that in previous version work fine now have problem with layout
    - by default the application not go in full screen
    - scroll pane not scroll some time (depend on layout) to the end, with Qt 4.4 these problem not exist
    - in QMenu I not see icons and the selected entry of the menu. The disable entry are the same colour as other.
    - the phone freeze, I must remove battery to reboot it
    - the fluidlancer demo context2d some time freeze the phone scrolling down the elements and also I'm not able to arrive at the end of the list
    - the red square on the widget that have the focus is missing
    - the left soft key not switch the focus between objects

on E61
    - qt 4.5 not work, I receive a message Functionality not supported! (Funzionalita' non supportata!), the 4.4 work fine (before removing it)
    Last edited by gino.rossi; 2009-03-11 at 13:02. Reason: add text

Re: Problems with Qt 4.5 Garden

E61 is an original 3rd Edition phone and so not officially supported - it is mostly binary compatible with FP1 but there could be some things that don't work and "Feature not supported" is exactly what you'd expect in that case.

- the auto theme system have some problems, some elements are black (for example in QCalendarWidget), and things that in previous version work fine now have problem with layout
    The first part is likely a bug, the second part might be a bug and might be that you need to adapt the layout now that the port is using the proper S60 style.
    - by default the application not go in full screen
    It's not supposed to, it's supposed to be "maximized" which in this case means you can see the status/title pane and the softkeys, your app fills the rest of the space, which is standard for an S60 app. You can run the app full-screen if you want though.
    - scroll pane not scroll some time (depend on layout) to the end, with Qt 4.4 these problem not exist
    Sounds like a bug, if you can reproduce it with some simple code then posting that might help get it fixed.
    - in QMenu I not see icons and the selected entry of the menu. The disable entry are the same colour as other.
    Same as the last one - probably a bug.
    - the phone freeze, I must remove battery to reboot it
    When you do what? There are some known issue that cause this, but you might have found a new one.
    - the fluidlancer demo context2d some time freeze the phone scrolling down the elements and also I'm not able to arrive at the end of the list
    It does for me, although not permanently, it just stalls for a long time on some specific entries and doesn't display them (plasma is the first one I think).
    - the red square on the widget that have the focus is missing
    Focus should be highlighted in a much nicer way now, that was never intended to stay. It does seem to me that you can't see when some elements have focus though.
    - the left soft key not switch the focus between objects
    No, you can just press up/down for that now...

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Hi Mark,

and thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery-ltd
    E61 is an original 3rd Edition phone and so not officially supported - it is mostly binary compatible with FP1 but there could be some things that don't work and "Feature not supported" is exactly what you'd expect in that case.
    So I'm lost one of my 2 phones :'(

the second part might be a bug and might be that you need to adapt the layout now that the port is using the proper S60 style.
    adapt my application to a style I think is not so wise, because a user can customize the theme and we can't test all themes available. For example on my E51 the buttons are light blue and the text on it is white -> not comfortable for reading.

It's not supposed to, it's supposed to be "maximized" which in this case means you can see the status/title pane and the softkeys, your app fills the rest of the space, which is standard for an S60 app. You can run the app full-screen if you want though.
    is as in PyS60, for some things is useful have a context some time we need all the space, now I must find how maximize some my windows to the 100% of the surface

Focus should be highlighted in a much nicer way now, that was never intended to stay. It does seem to me that you can't see when some elements have focus though.

No, you can just press up/down for that now...
    On my E51 is very hard see which element have the focus, for text input there are no difference, only when you start to typing you see the caret ...

Sorry for my bad English and thank you for your time

PS:

Sounds like a bug, if you can reproduce it with some simple code then posting that might help get it fixed.
    OK, I prepare a simply project and I post a link to it tomorrow morning (Europe time).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sorcery-ltd
    the second part might be a bug and might be that you need to adapt the layout now that the port is using the proper S60 style.

adapt my application to a style I think is not so wise, because a user can customize the theme and we can't test all themes available. For example on my E51 the buttons are light blue and the text on it is white -> not comfortable for reading.
    You don't want to adapt to the theme, but certain aspects of widget size and layout will be specific to the S60 style for Qt. It's standard practice on S60 to use the colors provided by the theme, and it's up to the user to select a theme where they can read the text, but it you don't like that you can always draw the background and select the colors yourself.

is as in PyS60, for some things is useful have a context some time we need all the space, now I must find how maximize some my windows to the 100% of the surface
    I haven't checked the code to see if this will work but I'd expect you'll get somewhere by playing with:
    Code:
    QWidget::setWindowState()
    Particularly if you use the value:
    Code:
    Qt::WindowFullScreen
    Hope that helps,
    Mark

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Gino,

About the theme issues. The S60Style is probably influencing your work - in a bad way.

Can you inform me what theme you are having as active on E51?
    Also, can you give detailed information which elements are black? For example, is the whole calenderWidget black, or
    the dates area? If you attach screenshots here that would be super.

QMenus should be mapped to CBA for non-fullscreen applications. There are probably errors in S60Style for QMenu,
    I will look at them.

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

Cheers,
    Sami

Hi Sami,

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzbender
    Can you inform me what theme you are having as active on E51?
    The theme is Dots Blue, but also if I change theme to Torquoise some element have the same problems (light blue as back ground and text in white, see calendar below).

Dots Blue - Torquoise

in qt 4.4 was and I was able to scroll all the interface, now I'm not able to see the buttons

Also, can you give detailed information which elements are black? For example, is the whole calenderWidget black, or
    the dates area? If you attach screenshots here that would be super.

QMenus should be mapped to CBA for non-fullscreen applications. There are probably errors in S60Style for QMenu,
    I will look at them.
    With qt 4.4 the menu was as displayed below

we can see the selected element, the disabled elements, and the icons.
    Last edited by gino.rossi; 2009-03-12 at 09:23.

Hi Mark,

You don't want to adapt to the theme, but certain aspects of widget size and layout will be specific to the S60 style for Qt. It's standard practice on S60 to use the colors provided by the theme, and it's up to the user to select a theme where they can read the text, but it you don't like that you can always draw the background and select the colors yourself.
    I know that some thing in my code must have an

Code:
    #ifdef Q_OS_SYMBIAN
    #endif
    and I must fix some things, for me use the theme of the OS is a good things and I agree with you "it's up to the user to select a theme where they can read the text". But here there are some bug, a normal thing, is a new feature and if I can help to fix the problems I will be happy

Thank you Mark for your comments and suggestion, now I will try Qt::WindowFullScreen

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Gino,

Thanks for the screenshots.

1) You can probably get more screenarea for your dialog, if you are able to display it with showFullScreen().
    This way the native statuspane shouldn't appear and your pushbuttons should be visible.
    2) The black areas near left/right buttons in Calendar widget is a known bug in S60Style. We are looking for
    means to provide nice theme graphics for the missing parts.
    3) Also the QMenu shortcomings are a bug, but a new one. I will report it and see that it should be fixed
    to our next release.

Thanks,
    Sami

Hi Sami,

thank you.

1) You can probably get more screenarea for your dialog, if you are able to display it with showFullScreen().
    This way the native statuspane shouldn't appear and your pushbuttons should be visible.
    On cellular phone to fit the window with the screen I used these:

Code:
    this->resize(screen_size.width(), screen_size.height());
    where

Code:
    screen_size = QApplication::desktop()->screenGeometry();
    Now I understood because some my interface not scroll well with 4.5. The default view now have the native status pane so when I set the dimension of my dialog or window I use the full height and not: full_height - native_status_pane_height

Now I tried to use this->showFullScreen(); BUT I can see only my calendar widget and not my dialogs (they stay behind the full screen calendar?) so with full screen the dialogs not are visible (on my linux desktop, the same code, work fine).

I also tried the function this->showMaximized(); but not fit perfectly the widget to the available surface (overlap a bit with the native status pane).

I also find a focus problem, I think, with Qt 4.4 the left blue soft button act as TAB so we was able to move the focus between widgets. Now when I enter in a QTimeEdit I'm not able to exit from it (So now I understood because I'm not able to scroll some my interfaces).

My themes (available on E51) not show if a QLineEdit or a QTimeEdit have the focus, only when you start to write you see the caret or the selected text different.

The last question: on Qt 4.5 the left soft button on which function or key is bound? To use it in a useful way

Thank you
    Last edited by gino.rossi; 2009-03-12 at 14:43.

Hi everyone,

I got some problems with the new garden release. I configured and built the qt libraries without problems, but I can't run my own applications or examples. They won't work in the emulator and not on the phone. I tried 3rd edition and 5th edition phones. (N95, E75)

On N95 I don't even see an error message it just won't start. On 5th edition phone I get a Main Panic KERN-EXEC 3.

I ran the debug mode in the emulator for 3rd edition phone and the ftp Example and It stops in main in line 75 at "QApplication app(argc, argv);" that is the same point where my own application stops.

I got these the error messages in debug log:

82.245 [DOSSERVER] CDosSharedDataBase* CDosSharedDataBase::NewL(0xd8901c4)
    82.245 [DOSSERVER] CDosSharedDataBase* CDosSharedDataBase::NewL(0xd8901c4)
    82.245 [DOSSERVER] CDosSharedDataBase::ConstructL(0xd8901c4)
    82.255 [DOSSERVER] dosService created, continuing...
    82.255 [DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL()
    82.255 [DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL() - aService valid
    82.255 [DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL() completed
    82.445 [<SRSF>] [Error!] CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL(const TDesC16 &) CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL - GetDir returns [-12] [F:Vcommandmanager.cpp][L:175][TId:213]
    82.445 [<SRSF>] [Error!] CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL(const TDesC16 &) CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL - GetDir returns [-12] [F:Vcommandmanager.cpp][L:175][TId:213]
    82.450 [<SRSF>] [Error!] CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL(const TDesC16 &) CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL - GetDir returns [-12] [F:Vcommandmanager.cpp][L:175][TId:213]
    82.455 [<SRSF>] [Error!] CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL(const TDesC16 &) CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL - GetDir returns [-12] [F:Vcommandmanager.cpp][L:175][TId:213]
    82.460 [<SRSF>] [Error!] CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL(const TDesC16 &) CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL - GetDir returns [-12] [F:Vcommandmanager.cpp][L:175][TId:213]
    82.465 [<SRSF>] [Error!] CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL(const TDesC16 &) CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL - GetDir returns [-12] [F:Vcommandmanager.cpp][L:175][TId:213]
    82.510 Thread vcommandmanager::MMFControllerProxyServer- created @ 0x48be490 - Win32 Thread ID 0x638
    82.555 TeUtl: ECN.HandleCallBack.<
    82.555 TeUtl: ECN.DoHandleCallBack.<
    82.555 TeUtl: ECN.DoHandleCallBack.>
    82.555 TeUtl: ECN.HandleCallBack.>
    82.595 CDRMClock::TimeChanged
    82.595 CDRMClock::TimeChanged ok
    82.830 [<SRSF>] [Error!] CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL(const TDesC16 &) CVCommandManager::ParseAllFilesFromDirectoryL - GetDir returns [-12] [F:Vcommandmanager.cpp][L:175][TId:213]
    82.855 Thread vcommandmanager::MMFControllerProxyServer- created @ 0x48be490 - Win32 Thread ID 0xd54
    82.905 TeUtl: ECN.HandleCallBack.<
    82.905 TeUtl: ECN.DoHandleCallBack.<
    82.905 TeUtl: ECN.DoHandleCallBack.>
    82.910 TeUtl: ECN.HandleCallBack.>
    82.910 CDRMClock::TimeChanged
    82.910 CDRMClock::TimeChanged ok
    82.915 [<SRSF>] [Error!] CContextProvider::CreateVCommandContextLC() CContextProvider::CreateVCommandContextLC SaveContext call failed [F:Contextprovider.cpp][L:99][TId:213]
    82.915 Thread vcommandmanager::VCManagerThread Killed -39
    82.920 TeUtl: ECN.HandleCallBack.<
    82.920 TeUtl: ECN.DoHandleCallBack.<
    82.920 TeUtl: ECN.DoHandleCallBack.>
    82.920 TeUtl: ECN.HandleCallBack.>
    82.925 CDRMClock::TimeChanged
    82.925 CDRMClock::TimeChanged ok
    83.335 Thread ftp.exe::Main created @ 0x49761b4 - Win32 Thread ID 0x13f4
    83.355 Thread ftp.exe::Local-048be86c created @ 0x48beb2c - Win32 Thread ID 0x1054
    83.735 Thread ftp.exe::Main Panic KERN-EXEC 3
    83.735 Thread ftp.exe::Local-048be86c Panic KERN-EXEC 3

and that in the console view:
    No source available for "0x3789636( ekern.exe )() "

I don't know what the problem is. Temple prerelease worked without problems with my application and also with the examples.

Thanks for your help.
    Cypher

The fluidlauncher, that is built during the library built process workes fine on the emulator. I think is's my own build process, that causes the trouble. I use carbide c++ 2.0.

Do I have to reinstall it, if i change the qt library from temple to garden?

Hi Cypher,

Quote Originally Posted by CypherV22
    On N95 I don't even see an error message it just won't start. On 5th edition phone I get a Main Panic KERN-EXEC 3.
    yours phones are 3rd edition N95 FP1 and E75 3rd FP2, so is normal that code for 5th edition not work (perhaps you test on emulator for 5th ed, so sorry )

Quote Originally Posted by CypherV22
    I don't know what the problem is. Temple prerelease worked without problems with my application and also with the examples.
    You have removed the old version of your application form your cell? (if you have installed an old version of your application compiled with qt 4.4 the update with a new one compiled with qt 4.5 fail, so you must remove the old before, after that you can upgrade without problems).

You have installed the new Qt on the phone (before remove the old)? (I know that are stupid question, so sorry)

Have you try to compile your project in CMD and not with carbide? (I'm not use carbide, prefer QtCreator + qmake and carbide for me have some problems some time).

open cdm in main project directory and write

Code:
    qmake

make clean

make debug-gcce

createpackage YOUR_PROJECT_NAME_gcce_udeb.pkg

qmake and make clean are for have a clean starting point.
    Last edited by gino.rossi; 2009-03-19 at 14:26.

Hi Gino,

compiling in CMD works. Probably something went wrong when I reinstalled the libraries.

Thanks for your help

Hi,

I realized a QGraphicsScene to scroll on the phone I used keyPressEvent ( QKeyEvent * keyEvent ), so with keyboard arrow I can scroll the scrol pane included in the QGraphicsView (using the graphicsView->scroll(0,5)). On my linux system all work fine but on the phone the scroll have some problem, what scroll is the QGraphicsView and not the scroll panel included in it. See the images below:

Thank you.
    Last edited by gino.rossi; 2009-03-31 at 13:20.