Discussion Board

Question Symbian Signed and JavaME, any option?

Hello.

I am developing a JavaME application with FileAccess (JSR75) and would like to test it on a real device. I've seen the Symbian Signed service to get a devoeloper certificate, but as I seen in the "a guide to Symbian Signed" it is not designed fo JavaME:
    "Q. Does Symbian Signed apply to Java MIDlets?
    A. No, Symbian Signed only applies to software which is distributed in SIS file format;
    developers of Java MIDlets should sign their applications using Sun’s Java Verified scheme."

So my question is if there is any workaround or similar services available.

I guess the answer is NO, but asking doesn't hurt

Thank you!

Super Contributor

Re: Symbian Signed and JavaME, any option?

Well, the answer is "yes".

The direct equivalent of Symbian Signed for J2ME applications is, as the text in your post says, Java Verified. The enables you to get your application tested and, if it passes, digitally signed.

If you just want to test your app on a device, then the best option is to buy one. You can also use Nokia's Remote Device Access Services.

Cheers,
    Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    Well, the answer is "yes".

The direct equivalent of Symbian Signed for J2ME applications is, as the text in your post says, Java Verified. The enables you to get your application tested and, if it passes, digitally signed.

If you just want to test your app on a device, then the best option is to buy one. You can also use Nokia's Remote Device Access Services.

Cheers,
    Graham.
    Thenks grahamhughes for your reply.

About the Java Verified, I thought it was for finished applications. I mean, when you have fully tested your application and it is working properly, then you send it to Java Verified and they sign it with a certificate so you can distribute it.
    But if I need a certificate while developing, I think a Java Verified certificate won't work because the program will be modified and thus the certificate will be invalid.
    Am I mistaken?
    About the Remote Device, I get the same security warnings when opening files, so it's the same as my real device

Thanks!

---
    Marc

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gakubuchi View Post
    About the Java Verified, I thought it was for finished applications.
    That's right, like the Symbian Signed programme.

I need a certificate while developing
    Right. You can sign your app if your purchase a certificate, from Verisign or Thawte. There are two issues you need to be aware of.

1. The device on which you install needs to recognize the Certificate Authority (such as Verisign or Thawte) from where you bought the certificate. If it does not, it may reject the application. Different devices will recognize different authorities.

2. The effect of signing the application will vary from device to device. Signing does not automatically make security prompts disappear.

You should take a good look at the Java Security/Certification Articles in the Forum Wiki.

Cheers,
    Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    Right. You can sign your app if your purchase a certificate, from Verisign or Thawte. There are two issues you need to be aware of.

1. The device on which you install needs to recognize the Certificate Authority (such as Verisign or Thawte) from where you bought the certificate. If it does not, it may reject the application. Different devices will recognize different authorities.

2. The effect of signing the application will vary from device to device. Signing does not automatically make security prompts disappear.

You should take a good look at the Java Security/Certification Articles in the Forum Wiki.

Cheers,
    Graham.
    Thanks Graham.
    I was aware of the two issues you commented, but it's something we'll have to live with.
    But there is a thing that I don't fully understand. To get a certificate (from Verisign or Thawte), I have to send them the finished application, haven't I? Or I can simply buy a certificate, install it on my device and then start testing?
    Sorry for asking this (maybe) silly questions...

I'll further read the wiki to fully understand this issues... Thanks!

Cheers,
    Marc

Super Contributor

To get a certificate (from Verisign or Thawte), I have to send them the finished application, haven't I? Or I can simply buy a certificate, install it on my device and then start testing?
    Yes, you can buy a certificate. You use this to sign the application.

No, you can't install the certificate on the device. The device must already have a matching certificate pre-installed, so that it can validate your signature.

Well, check out the wiki... all is there.

Cheers,
    Graham.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks Graham.
    I was aware of the two issues you commented, but it's something we'll have to live with.
    But there is a thing that I don't fully understand. To get a certificate (from Verisign or Thawte), I have to send them the finished application, haven't I? Or I can simply buy a certificate, install it on my device and then start testing?
    Sorry for asking this (maybe) silly questions...

I'll further read the wiki to fully understand this issues... Thanks!

Cheers,
    Marc

In thawte they will give you certificate and you will have to install it on your device. For versign you will have to send your application to them.