Discussion Board

Thread: Qt for Maemo

Lightbulb Qt for Maemo

Hi,

I'm developping a Qt application for the Nokia N810 and was wondering of there should be a saperate category on this forum for that? Or is there some other place?

My question is: where can I find the technical information about the integrated GPS and how to interpret the data comming from the gps. I've mannaged to get some data out of it and can enable/disbale the gps now. But not sure how to interprate the data.

Thanks in advance,
    CKurt

Re: Qt for Maemo

Qt doesn't have a GPS API (yet at least) so you would need to use the native maemo components - peer support for those is available on maemo.org. I think you can get a paid technical support request from Forum Nokia.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Hi,

Thanks for the fast answer. But I already got the GPS working via Qt. So that was allready solved. But now I get some GPS numbers our of them (multiple formats) and don't really know how to interpret them. But I'm searching the web for information.

The numbers are Nokia N810 specifiek so not really Maemo related I guess.

Thanks again!

Nokia Developer Moderator

The numbers are ... numbers, how can they be platform specific?
    What kind of data are you getting? Can you post here a sample and maybe the name of the API used to retrieve it?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. Here is some Sample Data I get from the gps when I read the data from the socket:

$GSPSA,A1,,,,,,,,,,*1E
    $GPGVS,1,1,03,32,,,26,25,,,24,15,,,24*7F
    $GPRMC?134236.000,V,,,,,,,170309,,,N*40

Not really helpfull, I know. But without any technical documentation about the platform it's hard to get. Still, hope you can help me out.

EDIT: http://home.mira.net/~gnb/gps/nmea.html this website explanes the letters and that helpt a bit. Longitude and Latitude are found in $GPGLL variable, now just need to access it...

Thanks for the help anyway! I think I have figured it out ;-)
    Last edited by CKurt; 2009-03-17 at 14:10.

Yep, NMEA sentences. Are you sure that there is no higher level API to give you directly the latitude and longitude values?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Yep, NMEA sentences. Are you sure that there is no higher level API to give you directly the latitude and longitude values?
    Hi, there is one build by QtMapper but it is not really an API like interface. Using it now to parse the strings and sotring the data in an GPSData object. So no official API yet (but i'm reusing QtMapper so maybe I can release the rework with the documentation i'm writing to call it an 'API' )

BTW: Any experience with String contacts ? I get a very weird error on:

static const QString DELIM(","); // delimiter for parsing the string provided by Gps

error: expected identifier before string constant
    gpshandler.h:44: error: expected `,' or `...' before string constant
    gpshandler.h:44: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `parameter' with no type

Must be a stupid mistake, but I'm watching past it somehow...

Thank again
    Last edited by CKurt; 2009-03-17 at 16:52.

Hi,
    our maemo guys suggested you to take a look at Qt map application for maemo on extras repository. The code is available and is under GPL, so it s reusable.
    The classes for using the gps are quite intuituive and integrated in hildon.

Hope this helps,
    Jack

Hi,

Thanks again. Qt Mapper is indeed the project that we have been using ssome code off. It's a very good project but it wasn't really configured as an easy to use API (in my oppinion) so we refactored it.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Torrance View Post
    Hi,
    our maemo guys suggested you to take a look at Qt map application for maemo on extras repository. The code is available and is under GPL, so it s reusable.
    The classes for using the gps are quite intuituive and integrated in hildon.

Hope this helps,
    Jack