Discussion Board

Question Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility?

Hi, Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility? It seems that applications hardly can work on different versions of S60, neither with earlier version nor with later version.
    So, can I say that S60 is neither Forward-Compatibility nor Backward-Compatibility? I am not sure about that. Anybody can confirm? thanks!
    Sorry for my poor english!
    If there were any mistakes, please correct me; thanks!

Regular Contributor

Re: Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by bjtuchen View Post
    Hi, Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility? It seems that applications hardly can work on different versions of S60, neither with earlier version nor with later version.
    So, can I say that S60 is neither Forward-Compatibility nor Backward-Compatibility? I am not sure about that. Anybody can confirm? thanks!
    the 2nd and 3rd neither compatibily, but 3rd fp1 and fp2 almost common-use.
    www.faxinwen.com 发新闻
    阅读分享__移动与互联网

Quote Originally Posted by netlover View Post
    the 2nd and 3rd neither compatibily, but 3rd fp1 and fp2 almost common-use.
    Thanks. My application is built on S60 3rd, but it can not run on my mobile phone. So maybe the difference is not negligible..

Nokia Developer Moderator

S60 comes with a backward compatibility promise (i.e. apps build for older platfrom releases will work on the new ones too). Of couse there could be some minor acidentall breaks but those would be documented as soon as we learn about them. The BC break between S60 2nd Edition and S60 3rd Edition is one special case, of a total compatibility break and it was/is extensively documented.

So, what exactly is your problem? What SDK have you used and on which phone it does not work?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Lightbulb Re: Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    S60 comes with a backward compatibility promise (i.e. apps build for older platfrom releases will work on the new ones too). Of couse there could be some minor acidentall breaks but those would be documented as soon as we learn about them. The BC break between S60 2nd Edition and S60 3rd Edition is one special case, of a total compatibility break and it was/is extensively documented.

So, what exactly is your problem? What SDK have you used and on which phone it does not work?
    Thanks ltomuta.
    I got answer on <Developing Series 60 Applications> "Nokia or Series 60 Licensees release SDKs that are suitable for development for a specific version of Series 60 Platform. That is to say, each Series 60 product is based on a particular release of the platform, and SDK releases are made to be suitable for development for a platform version. ... Such "backward compatibility" will depend on the version of the Symbian OS used as the basis of the release, the APIs used by the application developer and any changes that have occurred in those APIs between platform releases."
    Sorry for my poor english!
    If there were any mistakes, please correct me; thanks!

Super Contributor

that is why it is always advised to read the ReadMe.txt which comes with the SDK.