×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    China
    Posts
    15

    Question Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility?

    Hi, Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility? It seems that applications hardly can work on different versions of S60, neither with earlier version nor with later version.
    So, can I say that S60 is neither Forward-Compatibility nor Backward-Compatibility? I am not sure about that. Anybody can confirm? thanks!
    Sorry for my poor english!
    If there were any mistakes, please correct me; thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    434

    Re: Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by bjtuchen View Post
    Hi, Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility? It seems that applications hardly can work on different versions of S60, neither with earlier version nor with later version.
    So, can I say that S60 is neither Forward-Compatibility nor Backward-Compatibility? I am not sure about that. Anybody can confirm? thanks!
    the 2nd and 3rd neither compatibily, but 3rd fp1 and fp2 almost common-use.
    www.faxinwen.com 发新闻
    阅读分享__移动与互联网

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11

    Re: Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by netlover View Post
    the 2nd and 3rd neither compatibily, but 3rd fp1 and fp2 almost common-use.
    Thanks. My application is built on S60 3rd, but it can not run on my mobile phone. So maybe the difference is not negligible..

  4. #4
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    11,359

    Re: Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility?

    S60 comes with a backward compatibility promise (i.e. apps build for older platfrom releases will work on the new ones too). Of couse there could be some minor acidentall breaks but those would be documented as soon as we learn about them. The BC break between S60 2nd Edition and S60 3rd Edition is one special case, of a total compatibility break and it was/is extensively documented.

    So, what exactly is your problem? What SDK have you used and on which phone it does not work?
    -- Lucian

    If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    China
    Posts
    15

    Lightbulb Re: Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    S60 comes with a backward compatibility promise (i.e. apps build for older platfrom releases will work on the new ones too). Of couse there could be some minor acidentall breaks but those would be documented as soon as we learn about them. The BC break between S60 2nd Edition and S60 3rd Edition is one special case, of a total compatibility break and it was/is extensively documented.

    So, what exactly is your problem? What SDK have you used and on which phone it does not work?
    Thanks ltomuta.
    I got answer on <Developing Series 60 Applications> "Nokia or Series 60 Licensees release SDKs that are suitable for development for a specific version of Series 60 Platform. That is to say, each Series 60 product is based on a particular release of the platform, and SDK releases are made to be suitable for development for a platform version. ... Such "backward compatibility" will depend on the version of the Symbian OS used as the basis of the release, the APIs used by the application developer and any changes that have occurred in those APIs between platform releases."
    Sorry for my poor english!
    If there were any mistakes, please correct me; thanks!

  6. #6
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    9,968

    Re: Is S60 Forward-Compatibility or Backward-Compatibility?

    that is why it is always advised to read the ReadMe.txt which comes with the SDK.

Similar Threads

  1. S60 5th edition applications in 3rd edition phones
    By radhamanogar in forum Symbian
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2012-08-08, 06:47
  2. Audio Routing API for S60 5th
    By heuven in forum Symbian User Interface
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2009-02-14, 23:39
  3. Mail Sync for S60 / S60 3rd Devices
    By bmenke in forum PC Suite API and PC Connectivity SDK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2006-09-17, 06:24
  4. Draw a bitmap on screen -- The compatibility issue in S60 and S60_FP3
    By steveyzhang in forum Symbian Media (Closed)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2006-03-16, 09:20
  5. .MID compatibility with s60 phones
    By mstr_ in forum Audio
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2003-12-04, 13:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×