Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Exclamation How to copy Folders through SISx file and intalled sis in a particular directory

Hi All,
    How can i copy a whole folder at a particular location in phone with the help of SISx file?
    I could copy a file by such statemet:
    Code:
    "\MAK\cameramak.txt" - "e:\MAK\cameramak.txt"
    1) But i want to copy recursively the whole folder MAK and not file by file. Is it possible or the only way is to copy it file by file?
    when i try to do
    Code:
    "..\Mak1\" - "e:\Mak1\"
    it gives me error while creating sis saying
    Error : Cannot find file : ../Mak1/
    2) I want my application to install multiple sis files under a specific folder say "TGI" under Applications directory. How can i acheive that?
    by default all the installed applications goes to Applications directory.

Please help. Its urgent.
    Thanks in advance,
    ~ MAK
    Last edited by mak_tgi; 2009-03-17 at 06:45.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to copy Folders through SISx file and intalled sis in a particular directory

1) File by file is the only option. Or install a zip file and then unpack it on the device.

2) You can have an application group (seearch SDK help for "group_name") created in the ROOT of the Menu application but there is no mechanism for you to specify a deeper path.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Re: How to copy Folders through SISx file and intalled sis in a particular directory

Thanks for your quick reply
    Point 1) is clear now but regarding point 2):
    RESOURCE APP_REGISTRATION_INFO
    {
    app_file = "AppName";
    //
    localisable_resource_file = "\\resource\\apps\\AppName_loc";
    //
    hidden = KAppNotHidden;
    embeddability = KAppNotEmbeddable;
    newfile = KAppDoesNotSupportNewFile;
    launch = KAppLaunchInForeground;
    group_name = "MyGroup";
    }
    Is this what you wanted me to refer to?
    If yes, then I have further doubts as i could not get much info in SDK help on this.
    1) If i have 3 applications, then i need to change their RegistrationResource file to include this group_name item in APP_REGISTRATION_INFO resource of all 3?
    2) How this directory "MyGroup" wd be created in the Menu root and how my application wd get installed to this particular location? I mean what should be the target path in .PKG file to reach this folder"MyGroup".
    Because by default all applications get installed in Applications directory inside Menu Root.
    Thanks,

2.1) Yes, all your apps would have to refister themselves as belonging to the same application group.
    2.2) Once defined, MyGroup will not be a file system directory therefore there is no path component to be changed. MyGroup will be a folder, a logical and visual representation of an application group at Menu application level. The Menu application is responsible for creating and managing that folder object and no further action is required from you aside from defining the group name in the *_reg.rss file.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Thanks Lucian,
    But i have one doubt here...
    Even if i include group_name = "MyGroup"; in all my application's *_Reg.rss files, but still my .PKG file would instruct the S/W installer to install all the EXEs and resources to be copied to default locations.
    So wouldn't my application get installed in MenuRoot->Applications (the default location for installed application)??
    Or merely defining group_name, tells the SW installer to install the corresponding application to "MYGroup" directory?

Thanks,

The Menu application uses the info in the _reg.rsc files and groups the files based on the group_name info. This has nothing to do with where the actual files are, and could't even be different since the files (exes, dll or _reg.rsc for that mater) have predefined mandatory locations where they must be installed.

As mentioned before, don't think as in Windows where you usualy have directory = folder, this is not the case. Or ,if you wish, think of Window's Control Panel folder. Where is the directory to which it maps?

A file's location and an icon's placement in the Menu grid are two separate things, no need to mix them together.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

I tested quickely with 2 of my applications (twice to make sure)but there was no folder(MyGroup) created in MenuRoot neither in Applications directory. Rather my applications got installed in a usual manner(i.e. in Applications directory).
    This is the first RESOURCE in application1.rss
    RESOURCE LOCALISABLE_APP_INFO r_localisable_app_info
    {
    short_caption = qtn_caption_string;
    caption_and_icon =
    CAPTION_AND_ICON_INFO
    {
    caption = qtn_caption_string;

number_of_icons = 1;
    icon_file = "\\resource\\apps\\CameraMak_0xE6769343.mif";
    };
    group_name = "MyGroup";
    }
    This is the RESOURCE in Application2.rss
    {
    short_caption = STRING_short_caption;
    caption_and_icon =
    {
    CAPTION_AND_ICON_INFO
    {
    caption=STRING_r_long_caption;

number_of_icons = 1;
    icon_file = "\\resource\\apps\\CameraEx_aif.mif";
    }
    };
    group_name = "MyGroup";
    }
    And
    {
    app_file="CameraEx";
    localisable_resource_file = "\\resource\\apps\\CameraEx";
    localisable_resource_id = R_LOCALISABLE_APP_INFO;
    embeddability=KAppNotEmbeddable;
    newfile=KAppDoesNotSupportNewFile;
    }
    is almost similar similar for both applications in *_reg.rss file.
    I appriciate for your patience and reply
    Thanks,
    Last edited by mak_tgi; 2009-03-17 at 11:26.

Nobody said that the group_name is a localizable string. It's place is in the _reg.rss, in the APP_REGISTRATION_INFO structure.
    Please check the definition of APP_REGISTRATION_INFO in appinfo.rh
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

I'm soooo sorry...I had checked both the RESOURCES in appinfo.rh but i missed group_name in a hurry in:
    STRUCT APP_REGISTRATION_INFO
    {
    LTEXT group_name(KAppMaxGroupName) = "";
    }
    took the wrong one in a hurry from:
    STRUCT LOCALISABLE_APP_INFO
    {
    LTEXT group_name(KAppMaxGroupName) = "";
    }
    Thanks sooo much Lucian I'll try it out just now and update soon.

Ups, now I see that the group_name field is defined in LOCALISABLE_APP_INFO too. Hmm, something's not right about this, I have to refresh by old memory chips and then have it investigated whether it works or not.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

I was pretty excited this time that it might work but
    I changed in both the *_reg.rss file as:
    Code:
       { 
       app_file="CameraEx";
       localisable_resource_file = "\\resource\\apps\\CameraEx";
       localisable_resource_id = R_LOCALISABLE_APP_INFO;
       embeddability=KAppNotEmbeddable;
       newfile=KAppDoesNotSupportNewFile; 
       group_name = "MyGroup";
       }
    but still no gain. I searched the whole phone even rebooted but nowhere found "MyGroup" folder.
    Does creating a folder in MenuRoot really need just group_name = "MyGroup"; or something else is also required??
    Thanks,
    ~ Mayank

The group_name thing works. Usualy.
    If it does not work in you case then something must be off balance.

Make sure that you clean and then rebuild the project. Also, uninstall first the app from the phone and then install the new version.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Ya i had realycleaned and built my applications everytime. uninstalled before installing afresh.
    I dont understand what might be going wrong.
    Anyways thanks so much Lucian for replying so patiently.
    If anybody else has an idea about it, please help.
    Just to summarize my problem again:
    I need to install 2-3 applications via sis file,in a Single folder e.g."MYGroup"(which wd have required icons to launch my different applications). Bydefault they all get installed in "Applications" folder of Menu in a scattered manner.
    Thanks,
    - Mak

Regular Contributor

Ya you were rigth Lucian Thanks.
    There is something wrong with my application in this regard. I tried with other applications, they created directory inside MenuRoot and application icons as well.
    Can i change the icon of this folder created in MenuRoot?
    Icons inside this folder(MyGroup)created can be changed by:
    {
    short_caption = qtn_caption_string;
    caption_and_icon =
    CAPTION_AND_ICON_INFO
    {
    caption = qtn_caption_string;

number_of_icons = 1;
    icon_file = "\\resource\\apps\\CameraMak_0xE6769343.mif";
    };
    }
    But how to change icon for their containing(parent) folder?
    Thanks.

No, there is no mechanism for defining the icon for custom application groups.
    -- Lucian