Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Difference between S60 API Partnering programme and Symbian Platinum partner?

Hi,

I want to write File Server Pluginns (*.pxt) to develop virus scan engine.
    I dont found any information in public SDK.

Can you tell me the difference between S60 API Partnering programme and Symbian Platinum partner?

who will provide me the proper set of API?

Regards,
    Swapnil

Super Contributor

Re: Difference between S60 API Partnering programme and Symbian Platinum partner?

Symbian Platinum partner + Symbian DevKit or BAK licensing give you access to Symbian APIs.

S60 API Partnering gives you access to unpublished S60 APIs (that are not part of or coming from Symbian).

If you wait, you should get both through Symbian Foundation with little cost.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Difference between S60 API Partnering programme and Symbian Platinum partner?

Symbian Ltd. is now owned by Nokia and that includes the OS and its APIs. The former Symbian Partner programs are most likely suspended and one thing is sure they won't accept new members. Until the Symbian Foundation is alive and kicking you should use, as already advised, the API Partnering.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Is the partner program the path I need to take to gain access to the Bluetooth stack? I am trying to access a low-level status available at discovery, but not exported to the API. Does the partner program provide access to the lower-level APIs or source code? Finally, how do I join the partner progrm?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Which Partner program? And if the info you seek is not exported through an API (do you know that for sure?) then what is the use to have access to the source code, you won't be able to link to it.

Symbian Ltd. does not exist any more, nor does its developer program. Symbian Foundation does not have a developer program but you can become a foundation member and thus access the code.

If you need access to APIs on earlier versions of the platform (S60 and Symbian OS 9.3 and less) your option remains Forum Nokia's Technical Support and API Partnering. No membership to Forum Nokia's premium developer programs is required.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Based on the earlier response, I assumed the only program is what you refer to previously as "API partnering". Basically, I am looking for a way to get a Bluetooth signal level that is generally returned from the Bluetooth device during discovery. However, I have already confirmed that the API available in the Symbian S60 SDK does not export this data. My hope was that it was available at a lower level, perhaps by having direct access to the Bluetooth stack.

Do you have any recommendation on how to tackle this? Will this eventually all be open sourced when the Symbian Foundation is fully active?

Thanks again for any help.

If the info is not a available through public SDKs then you still have the choice of using Forum Nokia's technical support and then the API Partnering. Try that.

The Symbian Foundation will release platform's code gradually. One cannot say at this time if and when the bluetooth stack will be open sourced.
    -- Lucian