Discussion Board

[moved] Advice on a Device...

I wonder if anybody has any ideas that might help me as I stuck on a uni project.

Basically, I need to create (only theoretically) a device which is basically a push button tool that detects where you are (GPS of course) and then displays emergency contact information for your area (i.e. a list of doctors, dentists, chemists, etc...)

The data will ofcourse be stored on a database on a server elsewhere and can be sent to the device via SMS, GPRS, 3G, anything really... but anyway... this thing can't be a phone, or a PDA. It has to be just a tool that provides the described purpose alone.... Help... please... does something like this exist already? Will it need a whole mobile OS to work? Where do I start with what hardware will be required??

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Steve.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: [moved] Advice on a Device...

That kind of things do exists, and they are rather easy to implment really. Easiest way would be to do it with WRT Widgets, some examples of REST services can be found from our wiki: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...th_WRT_widgets

Then nice collection of different REST services can be found from: http://www.programmableweb.com/apis/directory

A nice point with N97 (upcoming model) would be that you can also have Home screen Widgets, i.e you can have a button like thing with your own graphics on the home screen, and when user clicks it, it would open the WRT Widget in full screen mode, for more information check out Web developer library documentations.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: [moved] Advice on a Device...

Quote Originally Posted by SKORP View Post
    ... but anyway... this thing can't be a phone, or a PDA. It has to be just a tool that provides the described purpose alone.... Help... please... does something like this exist already? Will it need a whole mobile OS to work? Where do I start with what hardware will be required??

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Steve.
    Hmm ... you're kind of in the wrong place, aren't you? Such thing does indeed exist and it was used for a very long time. In fact is not one thing, is many (this sounds like the N95 ad): take a compass, a map and a dictionary and keep them in your pocket

If you're really talking about designing such a device as a theoretical exercise then why not, go for it. The trend however in today's understanding is convergence. Nobody will want a device that does that little [and possibly useful] function when a smartphone can provide it as just one of its many functions.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite