Discussion Board

Unhappy secure certificate in a real device??

regards!!

I have a doubt ... I´m develops an application in J2ME using a secure connection with HTTPS, and
    I'm using apache with self signed certificate ...., (use OpenSSL to do this), to run the application in the emulator,
    I need to add the root certificate to the certificate store of the emulator, once done, the connection
    works perfectly .....

my problem is that: when I moving the application to an real device (I'm doing tests with a nokia 5310 and a Sony K550),
    the applicative don´t work and show me a runtimeException: Invalid certificate (bad certificate ).... I guess that is because I need to add the root
    certificate to use for apache, in the real device ......, but I searched and read many forums, but i can´t find how
    to do this... anyone have any idea?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: secure certificate in a real device??

Quote Originally Posted by -Icaro- View Post
    regards!!

I have a doubt ... I´m develops an application in J2ME using a secure connection with HTTPS, and
    I'm using apache with self signed certificate ...., (use OpenSSL to do this), to run the application in the emulator,
    I need to add the root certificate to the certificate store of the emulator, once done, the connection
    works perfectly .....

my problem is that: when I moving the application to an real device (I'm doing tests with a nokia 5310 and a Sony K550),
    the applicative don´t work and show me a runtimeException: Invalid certificate (bad certificate ).... I guess that is because I need to add the root
    certificate to use for apache, in the real device ......, but I searched and read many forums, but i can´t find how
    to do this... anyone have any idea?
    Welcome to the Forum Nokia. You will have to sign application to remove prompts from thawte,versign or any. Using open SSL you might found it is working in S60 2nd edition and emulator. For root certificate. You will not be allow to add root certificate on device because it is the manufacturer privileges so we cannot do it.

-Icaro-, please have a search for application/x-x509-ca-cert. By the way, which emulator do you use? I guess many would benefit from a small little tutorial how to do that for your emulator.

honest_success, just to add a small clarification: Users are able to add CA certificates to their phone. However, you might not be able to use it for code-signing that way.

Re: secure certificate in a real device??

thanks for te answers, this is a bad news for me, because one certificate from verising or something similar it´s very expensive ... i needed run my software in devices s40, but in this moment I think is time to rethink my project

@traud: thx for the link, i´m use the WTK emulator, and add the root certificate for testing it´s very simple, only you need to go from "utilities" and "manage certificates", here you can add or delete root certificates, this works with and file called _main.ks, there are all the certificates used by the emulator

looks here:
    http://multivac.fatburen.org/localdo.../security.html

in the section 6.5

-Icaro-, why are answers like this one bad news? By the way, this trick works the same way for Series 40 SDKs which contain a complete user interface with browser.